In This Section

Supplemental Security Income for Children with Disabilities


What is Supplemental Security Income?

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a federal program that provides monthly cash payments to people who are in need and meet income eligibility. SSI is for people who are 65 or older as well as for blind or disabled people of any age, including children with physical disabilities or mental disabilities.

How do I apply for SSI?

Step 1: Make an appointment to apply in person

  • Call 1-800-772-1213 to make an appointment (1-800-325-0778 TTY or 1-800-772-1213 TRS)
  • You can also go to the Social Security Office without an appointment, but you will have to wait in line

Step 2: Take these papers with you to the Social Security Office

  • Your child's Social Security card
  • Your child's birth certificate
  • Your latest pay stub
  • Your latest bank statement
  • Proof of where you live, such as a utility bill, mortgage payment, or lease
  • The report from your doctor that says your child has a disability
  • Citizenship or immigration papers if required
  • Names, addresses, and phone numbers of all of the doctors, hospitals, and therapists who have seen your child in the last year
  • A list of any medicine your child takes
  • The names, addresses, and phone numbers of your child's schools and teachers
  • The names, addresses, and phone numbers of your child's caseworkers
  • Your child's Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP)
  • Names and Social Security numbers of everyone in your house

Note: KEEP YOUR APPOINTMENT even if you don't have all the papers. The Social Security Office can help you get the papers. For birth certificates, call the county where your child was born to order a copy.

To find a Social Security Office near you, go to the Social Security Office Locator website or call 1-800-772-1213.

Step 3: While you are waiting for the SSI letter, apply for other services

Your child may still qualify for Medical Assistance, also known as Medicaid, or other services even if he or she doesn't get SSI.

Step 4: Make copies of the letter that tells you if your child qualified for SSI or not

Take the SSI letter with you to qualify for other services, even if you didn't get SSI.

Additional Resources:

The Center for Autism Research and The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia do not endorse or recommend any specific person or organization or form of treatment. The information included within the CAR Autism Roadmap™ and CAR Resource Directory™ should not be considered medical advice and should serve only as a guide to resources publicly and privately available. Choosing a treatment, course of action, and/or a resource is a personal decision, which should take into account each individual's and family's particular circumstances.