HOW CAN WE HELP YOU? Call 1-800-TRY-CHOP
In This Section
University of Pennsylvania Postdoc Program and Career Services
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia provides postdocs and T32/F32-supported physician fellows with access to the UPenn Biomedical Postdoctoral Program (BPP), a premiere career and professional development program for early-stage researchers. Enrollment with the BPP also includes access to UPenn Career Services, and the opportunity to participate in the Penn Biomedical Postdoctoral Council (BPC).
The UPenn BPP and Career Services provide additional training opportunities in addition to, and in association with, programming offered by the CHOP Office of Academic Training and Outreach Programs:
- Penn Biomedical Postdoctoral Research Symposium
- Annual Biomedical Career Fair
- Laboratory management workshops
- Obtaining NIH F and K awards
- Public speaking skills workshops
- Business etiquette workshops
- Social activities
- One-on-one career counseling services
- All CHOP postdoctoral fellows are automatically enrolled in the BPP and Career Services automatically after their first month of employment at Children's Hospital.
To take advantage of Career Services, you must sign up for Handshake, Penn's online career platform.
Eligibility for BPP enrollment is limited to:
- ALL CHOP Postdoctoral Fellows, including Psychology Fellows, regardless of trainee status.
- Physician Fellows supported by T32, F32 or related research training grants. Physician fellows not supported by such grants are ineligible for BPP enrollment through this program.
CHOP postdoctoral fellows are automatically enrolled in the BPP automatically after their first month of employment at Children's Hospital. If you are unsure of your enrollment status, please contact the Office of Academic Training and Outreach Programs. If you have already received announcements via the BPP listserv, your enrollment is active.
Physician Fellows supported by T32, F32 or related research training grants may be enrolled at any time by contacting the Office of Academic Training and Outreach Programs directly or through their training grant administrator. Enrollment is activated on the first day of the following month.
CONTINUED PARTICIPATION FOR POSTDOCS
CHOP Postdoctoral Fellows must remain in good standing with the Office of Academic Training and Outreach Programs to remain eligible for the UPenn BPP. This includes:
- Timely completion of the Annual Postdoc Review at the anniversary of their hire date
- Update of the CHOP Trainee Profile annually at the anniversary of their hire date
- Active BPP/Career Service participation and attendance reporting (see below)
PARTICIPATION AND ATTENDANCE REPORTING
Please take note that you will be required to self-report your attendance at BPP events at the end of the programming year (June of each year). Your active attendance at events and utilization of services will ensure that CHOP can maintain this partnership and provide enrollment each year.
To maintain good standing as a CHOP-sponsored member of the University of Pennsylvania Biomedical Postdoctoral Program, we request that you attend at least five BPP events and one UPenn Career Services development/counseling session within each year of enrollment.