HOW CAN WE HELP YOU? Call 1-800-TRY-CHOP
In This Section
PCEN Summer Scholars Program
The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Pediatric Center of Excellence in Nephrology (CHOP PCEN) is pleased to request applications for our 2024 Summer Research Scholars Program. This program aims to inspire future leaders in pediatric kidney disease research by engaging students in meaningful research and clinical experiences in pediatric nephrology.
The program is open to undergraduate, post-graduate, or medical students.*Start and end dates are flexible as academic schedules may vary for each student; however, an 8 week commitment is required. Students will work with a mentor on a research project and will have opportunities for didactic training and clinical shadowing in nephrology. Students will also attend seminars about research and careers in medicine and will take one or more courses on epidemiology or data science.
Students will receive a $4500 stipend. Please note: Housing is not provided as a part of the program.
The program structure includes:
- Practical research training and mentorship
- Responsible Conduct of Research training (including, as applicable to the research project: human subjects research, animal care and use in research, laboratory safety)
- Full-time research experience on a clinical, translational, or basic science project under the mentorship of a PCEN investigator
- Weekly meetings with PCEN faculty mentor
- Preparation of an abstract and/or manuscript, as appropriate
- Oral presentation of research findings at the end of the program
- Didactic training
- Participation in Nephrology Fellows' Core Curriculum weekly lecture series – provides exposure to core clinical nephrology topics and opportunities to interact with nephrology fellows
- Research Seminars: students will attend weekly Summer Scholar cohort meetings and research team/lab meetings as appropriate based on their research project and mentor
- Online Instruction: Students will complete online training/coursework
- Clinical shadowing in nephrology
- Observe nephrology clinic at least once per week
- Attend inpatient rounds once per week
*Must be currently enrolled in or recently graduated from an accredited college or university. Must be U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents.
How to apply
We are now accepting applications for Summer 2024!
Please complete the online application: PCEN Summer Research Scholars Program Application
Complete applications must be received by 11:59pm (ET) on Monday, January 22nd, 2024.
A faculty recommendation letter must be received by 11:59pm (ET) on Monday, January 29th, 2024.
Applicants who are selected for interviews will be notified by mid-March.
For more information, contact the program coordinator, Jessica Lalli or the program director, Dr. Erum Hartung at CHOPPCEN@chop.edu.
Summer Scholars Alumni
View a list of Summer Scholars Alumni.