In This Section
Dr. Litman is a crusader for safer medication practices, and his major research interest is on the effects of sedative and anesthetic agents on upper airway patency.
Dr. Litman’s primary areas of research and academic study include:
- The intersection of law and medicine, in particular the regulation of medication administration: In 2018, Dr. Litman received his Master in Law degree of the University of Pennsylvania School of Law.
- Opioid use and regulation: Dr. Litman is Chair of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s Anesthesia and Analgesia Drug Product Advisory Committee.
- Malignant hyperthermia: Dr. Litman served as the Medical Director of the Malignant Hyperthermia Association of the United States hotline from 2013 to 2019.
- Medication safety: Dr. Litman is the Medical Director of the Institute for Safe Medication Practice.
- Upper airway physiology and responses to administration of sedatives and anesthetics: From 2001 to 2016, Dr. Litman served as Chair of the Pain and Sedation Committee at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
- Conflict of interest in medicine: Dr. Litman is Vice-Chair of the Conflict of Interest Committee at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
Education and Training
Master in Law, University of Pennsylvania School of Law, 2018
BA, State University of New York at Buffalo (Biology), 1980
DO, New York College of Osteopathic Medicine, 1985
Pediatric Internship, Beth Israel Medical Center, 1985-1986
Pediatric Residency, Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospital, 1986-1988
Anesthesiology Residency, Mount Sinai Medical Center, 1988-1990
Pediatric Anesthesia Fellowship, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, 1990-1991
Rotating Osteopathic Internship, Mercy Suburban Hospital, 2001-2001
American Board of Pediatrics Certification (Recertified 1996, 2004), 1989
American Board of Anesthesiology Certification (voluntary recertification 2001), 1992
American Board of Pediatric Anesthesiology Certification, 2014
Titles and Academic Titles
Medical Director, Institute for Safe Medication Practice
Chair, U.S. Food and Drug Administration Anesthesia and Analgesia Drug Product Advisory Committee
Medical Director, Malignant Hyperthermia Association of the United States hotline, 2013-2019