- Professor of Neurology in Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2011– present)
- Professor of Neurology at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2011– present)
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2002 – 2011)
- Associate Professor of Neurology at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2002 – 2011)
I am a Board Certified Adult Neurologist who has been in active and continuous practice since 1987. I have facility in the treatment of a broad range of Neurological Disorders. I have special expertise in the diagnosis and management of ALS patients.
My research areas of expertise related to neuro-degenerative diseases and nervous system development.
In the diseases arena, I have particular proficiency in the molecular and cellular underpinning of adult-onset neurodegenerative pathophysiology. there is an emerging interest in the role of intermediary metabolism and aging in relation to neurodegenerative diseases and I am specifically adept in these processes.
In the development arena, I have expertise in the cellular and molecular basis of activity-dependent development. In addition, spinal cord development is a special strong suit of mine.
In both arenas, I have a comprehensive and up-to-date understanding of how the fields have developed and the most current research.
- MD, Medicine, Cornell University Medical College (1982)
- B.A., Biology, Wesleyan University (1978)
- Lim, M., Selak, M., Xiang, Z., Krainc, D., Neve, R., Kraemer, B., Watts, J. and Kalb, R.. Reduced activity of AMP-activated protein kinase protects against genetic models of motor neuron disease. Journal of Neuroscience. Vol 32. 2012:1123-1141.
- Couthouis, J., Hart, M., Erion, R., King, O., Diaz, Z., Nakaya, T., Ibrahim, F., Kim, H., Mojsilovic-Petrovic, J., Panossian, S., Kim, S., Frackelton, E., Solski, J., Williams, J., Clay-Falcone, D., Elman, L., McCluskey, L., Greene, R., Hakonarson, H., Kalb, R., Lee, V., Trojanowski, J., Nicholson, G., Blair, I., Bonini, N., Van Deerlin, V., Mourelatos, Z., Shorter, J., and Gitler, S.. Evaluating the role of the FUS/TLS-related gene EWSR1 in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Human Molecular Genetics. Vol 21. 2012:2899-2911.
- Moronetti, L., Dersh, D., Boccitto, M. , Kalb, R,G., and Lamitina, T.. Stress and aging induce distinct polyQ protein aggregation states. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA,. Vol 109. 2012:10587-92.
- Boccitto, M, Lamitina, T and Kalb, R. Daf-2 signaling modifies mutant SOD1 toxicity in C. elegans. PloS One. Vol 7. 2012:e33494.
- Couthouis J., M.P. Hart, J. Shorter, M. DeJesus-Hernandez, R. Erion, R.E. Oristano, X.A. Liu, D. Ramos, N. Jethava, D. Hosangadi, J. Epstein, A. Chiang, Z. Diaz, T. Nakaya, F. Ibrahim, H.J. Kim, J.A. Solski, K.L. Williams, J. Mojsilovic-Petrovic, C. Ingre, K. Boylan, N. Graff-Radford, D. Dickson, D. Clay-Falcone, L. Elman, L. McCluskey, R. Greene, R.G. Kalb, V.M. Lee, J.Q. Trojanowski, A.C. Ludolph, W.Robberecht, P.M. Andersen, G.A. Nicholson, I.P. Blair, O.D. King, N.M. Bonini, V.M. Van Deerlin, R. Rademakers, Z. Mourelatos, A.D. Gitler:. A yeast functional screen predicts new candidate ALS disease genes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. Vol 108. 2011:20881-20890.
- Goo-Bo Jeong, Jelena Mojsilovic-Petrovic, Marco Boccitto, and Robert Kalb. Signaling events in axons and/or dendrites render motor neurons vulnerable to mutant superoxide dismutase toxicity. Journal of Neuroscience. Vol 31. 2011:295-299.