- Maurice R. Hilleman Chair of Vaccinology at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2015– present)
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1984 – 1985)
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1987 – 1992)
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1992 – 2001)
- Professor of Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2001 – 2015)
rotavirus, rotavirus vaccine, intestinal immunity, vaccines, vaccine safety
Key words: rotavirus, rotavirus vaccine, intestinal immunity.
Description of Research
We studied the genetics of rotavirus virulence, rotavirus neutralization phenotype and protein-specificities of rotavirus-specific cytotoxic T lymphocytes as a prelude to making a bovine-human reassortant rotavirus vaccine. The vaccine, RotaTeq, was licensed by the Food and Drug Administration in February, 2006.
Rotation Projects for 2006-2007
None. The laboratory closed in December, 2005. My professional time is devoted to running the Vaccine Education Center at the Children?s Hospital of Philadelphia: an international center that creates educational materials for parents and healthcare professionals and runs on an endowment yielding about $500,000 per year.
- M.D., University of Maryland (1977)
- B.S., Tufts University (1973)
- Offit, P.A. and Hackett, C.J.. Addressing parents? concerns: Do vaccines cause allergic or autoimmune diseases?. Pediatrics. Vol 111. 2003:653-659.
- Chow, A.A., Moser C.A., Speaker, T.J., and Offit, P.A.. Determination of efficiency of attachment of biotinylated antibodies to avidin-linked, aqueous-based microcapsules by flow cytometry.. J. Immunol. Methods. Vol 277. 2003:135-139.
- Offit, P.A., Jew, R.K.. Addressing parents? concerns: Do vaccines contain harmful preservatives, adjuvants, additives, or residuals?. Pediatrics [in press]. 2003.
- Offit, P.A. and Coffin, S.E.. Communicating science to the public: MMR vaccine and autism.. Vaccine [in press]. 2003.
- Offit, PA, HF Clark, and RL Ward.. Current state of development of human rotavirus vaccines.. Viral Gastroenteritis. Elsevier Science BV, Amsterdam, The Netherlands; 2003:345-356.
- Ward RL, HF Clark, PA Offit, and RI Glass.. Live vaccine strategies to prevent rotavirus disease.. New Generation Vaccines. Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, NY; 2003 in press.
- Clark, H F., P.A. Offit, R.I. Glass, and RM Ward.. Rotavirus vaccines.. Vaccines, 4th Edition. W.B. Saunders; 2003 in press.
- Offit P.A., and C.J. Hackett.. Do vaccines weaken, overwhelm, or alter the normal balance of the immune system.. Vaccines, 4th Edition. W.B. Saunders; 2003 in press.
- Offit, PA.. Getting "fully informed" about vaccines.. Contemp. Pediatr.. 2003 in press.
- Offit, P.A.. The power of 'box a'.. Expert Rev Vaccines. Vol 2. 2003:1-3.