- Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2007– present)
- Boston University, BA with Honors, Summa Cum Laude (1982)
- Boston University Award for Excellence in Pediatrics (1986)
- Boston University Award for Excellence in Infectious Diseases (1986)
- Benjamin Ritter Award for Excellence in Care of Children and Training of Residents, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (1990)
- Philadelphia County Medical Society Award for Humaneness in Medicine (1990)
- Delta Omega Public Health Honor Society (1995)
- Best International Scientific Abstract, 2001 Annual Research Meeting, Association for Health Services Research, Atlanta, GA (2001)
- Nemours Child Health Services Research Investigator Award, presented at Annual Research Meeting of AcademyHealth (2004)
- ASB Bank Visiting Professor, University of Auckland, New Zealand (2005)
- Mary D. Ames Professor of Pediatrics and Child Advocacy, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (2007-10)
- Best Scientific Abstract, 2011 Annual Research Meeting, AcademyHealth, Seattle, WA (2011)
- Toby Long Award (Senior Author) for best articles of the year published in Pediatric Physical Therapy (2014)
- AcademyHealth 2015 HSR Impact Award for the Johns Hopkins Adjusted Clinical Groups System (Forrest is one of the co-developers of this risk adjustment system) (2015)
- John Morgan Society, University of Pennsylvania (2016)
Roberts Center for Pediatric Research– 11th Floor 11473
Dr. Forrest is Professor of Pediatrics and Health Care Management at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) and the University of Pennsylvania. He is the Director of the CHOP Applied Clinical Research Center, which is devoted to advancing multi-institutional clinical and health services research in routine pediatric healthcare settings. Forrest serves as the Principal Investigator of the PEDSnet (pedsnet.org), a national consortium of children’s hospitals (>5 million children) that conducts patient-centered outcomes research among children and youth. He is the Chair of the Research Committee for PCORnet, the national clinical research network funded by PCORI. He also chairs the Steering Committee for the NIH program called PEPR, which evaluates patient-reported outcome measures for children with chronic conditions. Dr. Forrest received his BA and MD degrees from Boston University and completed his PhD in Health Policy and Management at Johns Hopkins School of Public Health.
- BA, Biology, Boston University (1982)
- MD, Medicine, Boston University (1986)
- PhD, Health Policy and Management, Johns Hopkins University (1995)
Postgraduate Training and Fellowship Appointment
- Residency in Pediatrics, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia PA (1986-1989)
- Chief Resident in Pediatrics, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia PA (1989-1990)
- Post-doctoral Fellow, Department of Health Policy and Management, The Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD (1991-1995)
- Associate, Department of Health Policy and Management, Johns Hopkins University, School of Hygiene and Public Health, Baltimore, MD (1994-1995)
- Instructor, Department of Health Policy and Management, Johns Hopkins University, School of Hygiene and Public Health, Baltimore, MD (1995-1997)
- Assistant Professor, Health Policy and Management, Johns Hopkins University, School of Hygiene and Public Health, Baltimore, MD (1997-2000)
- Associate Professor, Health Policy and Management, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD (2000-2006)
- Joint Appointment in Pediatrics, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD (2000-2006)
- Adjunct Professor, Health Policy and Management, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD (2007- )
- Professor of Pediatrics and Health Care Management, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA (2007- )
- Senior Fellow, Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics, University of Pennsylvania (2010- )
- Adjunct Professor of Health Care Management, Strathmore Business School, Nairobi, Kenya (2013- )
- Member, Department of Biomedical and Health Informatics, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (2015- )
Hospital and Administrative Appointments
- Staff Pediatrician, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia PA (1990-91)
- Served as a hospitalist for an infant patient care unit.
- Pediatric Medical Authority, Charles Hickey School, Baltimore, MD (1994-2003)
- Provided direct patient care for male youths in the juvenile justice system.
- Part-time Staff, Department of Pediatrics, Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD (1997-2005)
- Inpatient attending physician on the general pediatrics service.
- Senior Vice President, Chief Transformation Officer, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (2006-2009)
- Director, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia’s Center for Applied Clinical Research (2014-)
- Led development of a research center focused on advancing multi-institutional research done in routine pediatric healthcare settings.
- Center foci include pragmatic observational research, pragmatic clinical trials, and patient-reported outcomes.
- Ravens-Sieberer U, Devine J, Bevans K, Riley AW, Moon J, Salsman J, Forrest CB.. Qualitative Development of the Pediatric PROMIS® Subjective Well-Being Item Banks. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. in press.
- Guevara JP, Moon J, Hines E, Freemont E, Wong A, Forrest CB, Silber JH, Pati S. Continuity of Public Insurance Coverage: A Systematic Review of the Literature. Medical Care Research and Review. in press.
- Kahn MG, Bailey LC, Forrest CB, Padula MA, Hirschfeld S. Building a Common Pediatric Research Terminology for Accelerating Child Health Research. Pediatrics. in press.