Pediatric Thyroid Center
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia Pediatric Thyroid Center is an internationally recognized multidisciplinary program that was established in 2009 with members from nine divisions within CHOP as well as close clinical and research collaboration with the adult thyroid program from the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. It maintains close clinical collaboration with the CHOP tumor predisposition program and has a joint program with Marcia Brose, MD, PhD, for the medical treatment of pediatric patients with progressive, refractory thyroid cancer.
The Center has an active clinical research program investigating opportunities to improve care for patients with hyperthyroidism, thyroid nodules, and thyroid cancer. In 2019, the Center opened the first pediatric translational science program under the leadership of Aime Franco, PhD, and spearheads a North American collaborative pediatric thyroid consortium to expand research efforts. The translational science program will focus on defining the mechanisms involved in thyroid cancer metastasis and maintenance of differentiation relying on both in vivo models as well as our tissue biorepository (CCCR biorepository) and registry. The center is striving to expand the consortium internationally so that it can develop a global pediatric thyroid community and work together to benefit as many pediatric patients across the globe as possible.
Research Project Highlights:
- Assessment of neurocognitive function in patients with hyperthyroidism
- Intraoperative Parathyroid Hormone levels predict parathyroid gland recovery time
- Microscopic extrathyroidal extension is associated with an increased risk of lymph node metastasis
- Risk of malignancy is higher in pediatric nodules with indeterminate cytology
- Thyroid oncogene mutation status correlates with invasive behavior and prognosis
- MAPK modulation in thyroid tumorigenesis (AF)
- Tumor-stromal crosstalk in papillary thyroid carcinoma (AF)
- Impact on hyperthyroidism on bone mineral density in pediatric thyroid cancer patients
- Utility of thyroid ultrasound surveillance in pediatric cancer survivors exposed to therapeutic radiation
- Role of DICER1 in thyroid tumorigenesis