In This Section
COVID-19: Information for NIH Applicants and Recipients
Please find information and guidance below from the National Institutes of Health as it relates to the current COVID-19 public health emergency. If you have specific questions on this guidance, please reach out to your Sponsored Projects Officer (SPO).
The NIH is deeply concerned for the health and safety of people involved in NIH research, and about the effects on the biomedical enterprise in the areas affected by the coronavirus.
Health and Human Services Secretary Alex M. Azar II declared a public health emergency for COVID-19 retroactive to January 27, 2020. Due to the potential exceptional impact, the NIH is offering assurance to its recipient community that NIH will be doing its part to help you continue your research. During this rapidly evolving situation, updated guidance and information will be provided as it becomes available.
Proposal Submission & Award Management
- NIH Late Application Policy Due to Public Health Emergency for United States for 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) - NOT-OD-20-082
- General Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - Proposal Submission and Award Management Related to COVID-19 - NOT-OD-20-083
- Flexibilities Available to Applicants and Recipients of Federal Financial Assistance Affected by COVID-19 - NOT-OD-20-086
Human Subjects & Clinical Trials
- Guidance for NIH-funded Clinical Trials and Human Subjects Studies Affected by COVID-19 - NOT-OD-20-087
- FDA Guidance on Conduct of Clinical Trials of Medical Products during COVID-19 Pandemic
- Based on NIH Guidance on Travel and Meetings, in-person NIH peer review meetings are being held in alternate formats. Scientific review officers will be in contact with peer reviewers about these changes.
Funding Opportunities Specific to COVID-19
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
Notice of Special Interest (NOSI) regarding the Availability of Urgent Competitive Revisions for Research on the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)
National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS)
Notice of Special Interest (NOSI): Availability of Administrative Supplements and Revision Supplements on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI)
Notice of Special Interest (NOSI) regarding the Availability of Administrative Supplements and Urgent Competitive Revisions for Research on the 2019 Novel Coronavirus
National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
- NIH Website: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- CDC Website: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) including its guidance for Institutes of Higher Education and for mental health and coping
- WHO Website: Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak
- General Information on NIH Extramural Response to Natural Disasters and Other Emergencies