Stokes Announces Foerderer-Murray Award Recipients
09/13/2007The Joseph Stokes Jr. Research Institute recently announced the recipients of the FY 2008 Ethel Brown Foerderer Fund for Excellence and the Florence R.C. Murray Award Program.
The Stokes Institute awarded Foerderer-Murray grants in three categories: Project, New Investigator and Innovation grants.
Project grants allow ongoing research to move into new and productive areas or allow investigators to apply new techniques to their research. New investigator grants support discrete research projects and allow investigators to generate the kind of preliminary data needed to support external grant applications. Innovation awards aim to nurture entirely new ideas.
The awardees and their project titles are
• Chris Feudtner, MD, PhD, MPH, Division of General Pediatrics, "Longitudinal Assessment of Parental Emotions and Decision making Study"
• Stephan Grupp, MD, PhD, Division of Oncology, "Cellular Therapies for High-Risk Pediatric Cancer"
• Mary Catherine Harris, MD, Division of Neonatology, "The Impact of Bacterial PCR and Cerebrospinal Fluid Cytokine Levels on the Diagnosis of Bacterial Meningitis in Infants"
• David R. Lynch, MD, PhD, Division of Neurology, "Functional Analysis of Anti-NMDA Receptor Antibodies in Limbic Encephalitis"
• Gregor S. D. Reid, PhD, Division of Oncology/Pathology, "Development of Targeted Prevention Strategies for Pediatric Leukemia"
New Investigator Awards
• Tim Brazelton, MD, PhD, Division of Surgery, " Identifying Fundamental Pathways Regulated by Cell-Microenvironment"
• Matthew Gillespie, MD, Division of Cardiology, "The CHOP Stent-Deployed Heart Valve Translational Studies"
• Jake Kushner, MD, Division of Endocrinology, 'BMPs- A Novel Drug Target to Regenerate Beta Cells in Diabetes"
• Randolph P. Matthews, MD, PhD, Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology & Nutrition, "DNA Hypomethylation in Billary Development and Disease"
• Florin Tuluc, MD, PhD, Division of Allergy/Immunology, "PPARy and NK1R Modulate the Redox Balance in Macrophages"
• Jill Ginsberg, MD, Division of Oncology, "Fertility Preservation in Prepubertal Boys" An Experimental Approach"
• Michael Grunstein, MD, Division of Pulmonology, "Identification of an Inhibitor of CD 23 that Ablates the Pro-asthmatic State in Airway Smooth Muscle"
• Nancy B. Spinner, PhD, Division of Genetics, "Epigenomic Alterations in Fetal Death"