Recent Peer-Reviewed Publications
Back to top
- Silber JH, Rosenbaum PR, Kelz RR, Reinke CE, Neuman MD, Ross RN, Even-Shoshan O, David G, Saynisch PA, Kyle FA, Bratzler DW, Fleischer LA. Medical and financial risks associated with surgery in the elderly obese. Ann Surg, in press.
- Lorch SA Baiocchi M, Ahlberg CE, Small DS. The differential impact of delivery hospital on the outcomes of premature infants. Pediatrics, in press.
- Lorch SA, Kroelinger CD, Ahlberg C, Barfield WD. Factors that mediate racial/ethnic disparities in fetal death rates: United States. Am J Pub Health, in press.
- Silber JH, Rosenbaum PR, Even-Shoshan O, Mi L, Kyle F, Teng Y, Bratzler DW, Fleisher LA. Estimating anesthesia time using the Medicare claim: A validation study. Anesthesiology 2011; 115:322-333. PubMed.
- Zubizarreta JR, Reinke CE, Kelz RR, Silber JH, Rosenbaum PR. Matching for several sparse nominal variables in a case-control study of readmission following surgery. Am Stat, in press.
- Silber JH, Rosenbaum PR, Even-Shoshan O, Mi L, Kyle F, Teng Y, Bratzler DW, Fleisher LA. Estimating anesthesia time using the Medicare claim: A validation study. Anesthesiology, in press.
- a. Lorch SA, Maheshwari P, Even-Shoshan O. The impact of certificate of need programs on neonatal intensive care units. J Perinatol 2012; 32:39-44. PubMed (Selected for "Editor's Choice" by the e-Journal of Neonatology)
- Goyal N, Fager C, Lorch SA. Hospital adherence to discharge guidelines for late preterm newborns. Pediatrics 2011; 128:1153-1160. PubMed
- Tucker Edmonds B, Srinivas S, Fager C, Lorch S. Predictors of cesarean delivery for periviable neonates. Obstet Gynecol 2011; 118:49-56. PubMed
- Lorch SA, Srinivasan L, Escobar GJ. Epidemiology of apnea and bradycardia resolution in premature infants. Pediatrics 2011; 128:62-71. PubMed
- Rosenbaum PR and Silber JH: Amplification of sensitivity analysis in matched observational studies. J Amer Stat Assoc, in press.
- Kaplan HC, Lorch SA, Pinto-Martin J, Putt M, Silber JH: Assessment of surfactant use in preterm infants as a marker of neonatal intensive care unit quality. BMC Health Serv Res 2011, 11:22. PubMed
- Kaestner R, Silber JH: Evidence on the efficacy of inpatient spending on medical patients. Milbank Q 2010; 88:560-594. PubMed (AcademyHealth Article-of-the-Year)
- Silber JH, Kaestner R, Even-Shoshan O, Wang Y, Bressler LJ: Aggressive treatment style and surgical outcomes. Health Serv Res 2010; 45:1872-1892. PubMed (AcademyHealth Article-of-the-Year)
- Silber JH, Rosenbaum PR, Brachet TJ, Ross RN, Bressler LJ, Even-Shoshan O, Lorch SA, Volpp KG. The Hospital Compare Mortality Model and the Volume-Outcome Relationship. Health Serv Res. 2010 Jun 22. PubMed
- Srinivas SK, Fager C, Lorch SA. Evaluating risk-adjusted cesarean delivery rate as a measure of obstetric quality. Obstet Gynecol. 2010 May; 115(5):1007-13. PubMed
- Neuman MD, Fleisher LA, Even-Shoshan O, Mi L, Silber JH: Non-Operative Care for Hip fracture in the elderly: The influence of race, income, and comorbidities. Med Care. 2010 Apr; 48(4):314-20. PubMed
- Friese CR, Earle CC, Silber JH, Aiken LH: Hospital characteristics, clinical severity, and outcomes for surgical oncology patients. Surgery. 2010 May; 147(5):602-9 PubMed
- Lorch SA, Baiocchi M, Silber JH, Even-Shoshan O, Escobar GJ, Small DS. The role of outpatient facilities in explaining variations in risk-adjusted readmission rates between hospitals. Health Serv Res. 2010 Feb;45(1):24-41. PubMed
- Lorch SA, Millman AM, Shah SS. Impact of congenital anomalies and treatment location on clinical outcomes and health resource use in infants hospitalized with herpes simplex virus. J Hosp Med. 2010 Mar;5(3):154-9. PubMed
- Silber JH, Rosenbaum PR, Rosen AK, Romano PS, Itani KMF, Cen L, Mi L, Halenar MJ, Even-Shoshan O, Volpp KG: Prolonged hospital stay and the resident duty hour rules of 2003. Med Care 2009; 47:1-11. PubMed.
- Volpp KG, Rosen AK, Rosenbaum PR, Romano PS, Itani KM, Bellini L, Even-Shoshan O, Cen L, Wang Y, Halenar MJ, Silber JH. Did Duty Hour Reform Lead to Better Outcomes Among the Highest Risk Patients? Journal of General Internal Medicine. PubMed
- Lorch SA, Wade KC, Bakewell-Sachs S, Medoff-Cooper B, Silber JH, Escobar GJ. Antibiotic Use in Premature Infants After Discharge From the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Clinical Pediatrics. In press. PubMed
- Silber JH, Lorch SA, Rosenbaum PR, Medoff-Cooper B, Bakewell-Sachs S, Millman A, Mi L, Even-Shoshan O, Escobar GJ. Time to send the preemie home? Additional maturity at discharge and subsequent healthcare costs and outcomes. Health Services Research, 2009; 44:444-463. PubMed
- Lorch SA, Silber JH, Even-Shoshan O, Millman A. Use of Prolonged Travel to Improve Pediatric Risk Adjustment Models. Health Services Research, 2009; 44:519-541.
- Bakewell-Sachs S, Medoff-Cooper B, Escobar GJ, Silber JH, Lorch SA. Infant functional status: The timing of physiologic maturation of premature infants. Pediatrics, 2009 May; 123(5):e878-86.
- Silber JH, Rosenbaum PR, Romano PS, Rosen AK, Wang Y, Teng Y, Halenar MJ, Even-Shoshan O, Volpp KG. Hospital Teaching Intensity, Patient Race, and Surgical Outcomes. Archives of Surgery. 2009 Feb;144(2):113-20; discussion 121.
- Feudtner C, Hexem KR, Shabbout M, Feinstein JA, Sochalski J, Silber JH. Prediction of pediatric death in the year after hospitalization: a population-level retrospective cohort study. J Palliat Med. 2009 Feb;12(2):160-9.
- Brachet T, David G. "Economies of Scale" in Ross Mullner, ed., Encyclopedia of Health Services Research, SAGE Publications, forthcoming in 2010.
- Carr BG, Brachet T, David G, Duseja R, Branas CC. The Time Cost of Prehospital Intubation and Intravenous Access in Trauma Patients. Prehospital Emergency Care 2008;12(3):327-32. PubMed
- Lorch SA, Millman AM, Zhang X, Even-Shoshan O, Silber JH. The impact of admission day crowding on the length of stay of pediatric hospitalizations. Pediatrics 2008;121:e718-e730. PubMed
- Rosenbaum PR, Silber JH. Aberrant effects of treatment. Journal of the American Statistical Association 2008;103:240-247.
- Lorch SA, Wade KC, Bakewell-Sachs S, Medoff-Cooper B, Escobar GJ, Silber JH. Racial differences in the use of respiratory medications in premature infants after discharge from the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Journal of Pediatrics 2007;151:604-610.
- Silber JH, Romano PS, Rosen AK, Wang Y, Even-Shoshan O, Volpp KG. Failure-To-Rescue: Comparing Definitions to Measure Quality of Care. Medical Care 2007;45(10):918-25. PubMed
- Volpp KG, Rosen AK, Rosenbaum PR, Romano PS, Even-Shoshan O, Wang Y, Bellini L, Behringer T, Silber JH.
Mortality Among Hospitalized Medicare Beneficiaries in the First Two Years Following ACGME Resident Duty Hour Reform. The Journal of the American Medical Association 2007;298(9):975-983
- Volpp KG, Rosen AK, Rosenbaum PR, Romano PS, Even-Shoshan O, Canamucio A, Bellini L, Behringer T, Silber JH.
Mortality Among Patients in VA Hospitals in the First Two Years Following ACGME Resident Duty Hour Reform. The Journal of the American Medical Association 2007; 298(9):984-992. PubMed
- Tabak YP, Johannes RS, Silber JH. Using automated clinical data for risk adjustment: development and validation of six disease-specific mortality predictive models for pay-for-performance. Med Care. 2007 Aug;45(8):789-805.
- Silber JH, Rosenbaum PR, Polsky D, Ross RN, Even-Shoshan O, Shwartz JS, Armstrong KA, Randall TC. Does ovarian cancer treatment and survival differ by the specialty providing chemotherapy? J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25(10):1169-75. PubMed
- Weiner MG, Ross SJ, Mathew JI, Millman AM, Even-Shoshan O, Fox KR, Silber JH. Estimating the costs of chemotherapy-associated adverse event clusters. Health Services and Outcomes Research Methodology 2007; 7:1-21.
- Silber JH, Rosenbaum PR, Zhang X, Even-Shoshan O. Estimating anesthesia and surgical procedure times from Medicare anesthesia claims. Anesthesiology 2007; 106(2):346-355. PubMed
- Silber JH, Rosenbaum PR, Zhang X, Even-Shoshan O. The influence of patient and hospital characteristics on anesthesia time in Medicare patients undergoing general and orthopedic surgery. Anesthesiology 2007; 106(2):356-364. PubMed
- Rosenbaum PR, Ross R, Silber JH. Minimum distance matched sampling with fine balance in an observational study of treatment for ovarian cancer. Journal of the American Statistical Association 2007; 102:75-83.
- Polsky D, Randall TC, Ross RN, Even-Shoshan O, Silber JH. Variation in chemotherapy utilization in ovarian cancer: the relative contribution of geography. Health Services Research 2006; 41(6):2201-2218. PubMed
- Silber JH, Rosenbaum PR, Trudeau ME, Chen W, Zhang X, Rapaport RK, Mosher RE, Even-Shoshan O. Changes in prognosis after the first postoperative complication. Medical Care 2005; 43:122-131. PubMed
- Silber JH, Rosenbaum PR, Trudeau ME, Chen W, Zhang X, Loch SA, Kelz RR, Mosher RE, Even-Shoshan O. Preoperative antibiotics and mortality in the elderly. Annals of Surgery 2005; 242:107-114. PubMed
- Silber JH. Challenges in conducting a pediatric longitudinal prevention study: lessons from the ACE-inhibitor after anthracycline trial. Progress in Pediatric Cardiology 2005; 20:65-70.
- Silber JH, Cnaan A, Clark BJ, Paridon SM, Chin AJ, Rychik J, Hogarty AN, Cohen MI, Barber G, Rutkowski M, Kimball, TR, DeLaat C, Steinherz LJ, Zhao H. Enalapril to prevent cardiac function decline in long-term survivors of pediatric cancer exposed to anthracyclines. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2004; 5:820-828. PubMed
- Lorch SA, Zhang X, Rosenbaum PR, Evan-Shoshan O, Silber JH. Equivalent lengths of stay in pediatric patients hospitalized in rural and non-rural hospitals. Pediatrics 2004; 114:e400-e408. PubMed
- Lorch SA, Munson D, Lightfoot R, Ischiropoulos H. Oxygen tension and inhaled nitric oxide modulate pulmonary levels of S-nitrosocysteine and 3-nitrotyrosine in rats. Pediatric Research 2004; 56:345-352. PubMed
- Lorch SA, D'Agosino J, Zimmerman R, Bernbaum J. Benign extra-axial fluid in survivors of neonatal intensive care. Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine 2004; 158:178-182. PubMed
- Lorch SA, Cnaan A, Barnhart K. The cost-effectiveness of inhaled nitric oxide for the treatment of persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn. Pediatrics 2004; 114: 417-426. PubMed
- Silber JH, Rosenbaum PR, Even-Shoshan O, Shabbout M, Zhang X, Bradlow ET, Marsh, RR. Length of stay, conditional length of stay, and prolonged stay in pediatric asthma. Health Services Research 2003; 38:867-886.PubMed
- Silber JH, Kennedy SK, Even-Shoshan O, Chen W, Mosher RE, Showan AM, Longnecker DE. Anesthesiologist board certification and patient outcomes. Anesthesiology, 2002; 96:1044-1052. PubMed
- Silber JH, Rosenbaum PR, Trudeau ME, Even-Shoshan O, Chen W, Zhang X, Mosher RE. Multivariate matching and bias reduction in the surgical outcomes study. Medical Care, 2001; 39:1048-1064. PubMed
- Silber JH, Kennedy SK, Even-Shoshan O, Chen W, Koziol LF, Showan AM, Longnecker DE. Anesthesiologist direction and patient outcomes. Anesthesiology, 2000; 93:152-163. PubMed
- Silber JH, Gleeson S, Zhao H. The influence of chronic disease on resource utilization in common acute pediatric conditions: financial concerns for children's hospitals. Archives of Pediatric & Adolescent Medicine, 1999; 153:169-179. PubMed
- Silber JH, Rosenbaum PR, Koziol LF, Sutaria N, Marsh RR, Even-Shoshan O. Conditional length of stay. Health Services Research, 1999; 34:349-363. PubMed
- Silber JH, Fridman M, Shpilsky A, Even-Shoshan O, Smink DS, Jayaraman J, Fox KR, Pauly MV. Modeling the cost effectiveness of GCSF use in early stage breast cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 1998; 16:2435-2444. PubMed
- Silber JH, Fridman M, DiPaola RS, Erder MH, Pauly MV, Fox KR. First cycle blood counts and subsequent neutropenia, dose reduction or delay in early stage breast cancer therapy. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 1998; 16:2392-2400. PubMed
- Silber JH, Rosenbaum PR. A spurious correlation between hospital mortality and complication rates: the importance of severity adjustment. Medical Care, 1997; 35:OS77-OS92. PubMed
- Silber JH, Rosenbaum PR, Williams SV, Ross RN, Schwartz JS. The relationship between choice of outcome measure and hospital rank in general surgical procedures: implications for quality assessment. International Journal for Quality in Health Care, 1997; 9:193-200. PubMed