CVI Program Unit(s):
Lipid / Atherosclerosis / CAD / ACS / Prevention
Myocyte Biology / Heart Failure
Biotechnology / Nanomedicine / Imaging
Thrombosis / Hemostasis
CVI Research Description:
I am interested in immunologic and inflammatory events affecting the cardiovascular system, with particular interest in replacement therapies, whether by manipulation of stem cells or through cardiac transplantation. Optimizing outcomes of cardiac transplantation is another special interest.
Transplant immunobiology, inflammation and mechanisms of disease
New Co-Stimulation Molecules And Their Function In Vivo
The world is currently awash with costimulation molecules. Individual labs tout this or that molecule as being key to T cell activation under specific (often ludicrously specific) conditions, but none of these "insights" have yet led to actual therapeutic agents in clinical use. This reflects several factors. Drug companies make drugs and then try and find an application for them, ideally rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, asthma or some other widespread disease involving long-term therapy, but certainly not any of the indications subject to the "too small a market (e.g.
- Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2002– present)
- F.R.C.P.A., Pathology, Royal College o fPathologists of Australasia (1989)
- Ph.D., Medicine, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia (1984)
- M.B.B.S., Medicine, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia (1977)
- Wang L, Liu Y, Beier UH, Han R, Bhatti TR, Akimova T, Hancock WW.. Foxp3+ T regulatory cells require DNA methyltransferase 1 expression to prevent development of lethal autoimmunity.. Blood. Vol In press. 2013.
- Chunder N, Wang L, Chen C, Hancock WW, Wells AD.. Cyclin-dependent kinase 2 controls peripheral immune tolerance.. Journal of Immunology. Vol 189. 2012:5659-5666.