Dr. Zaoutis' research focuses on healthcare-acquired infections and antibiotic resistance. Within the area of healthcare-acquired infections, he is particularly interested on fungal infections. His work also focuses on pediatric pharmacoepidemiology as it relates to the judicious use of antimicrobial agents (antimicrobial stewardship) in both the hospital and ambulatory care. Finally, Dr. Zaoutis is Associate Director of the Center for Pediatric Clinical Effectiveness Research at the Children?s Hospital of Philadelphia. The center promotes research on how to best manage pediatric illness, disseminates knowledge gained from research, and partners with other groups to implement best practices to improve the quality of care delivered to children.
Infectious Diseases, Pediatrics, Pharmacoepidemiology
Dr. Zaoutis? research focuses on healthcare-acquired infections and antibiotic resistance. He is investigating the epidemiology of fungal infections in children with a specific focus on how antibiotics may affect the risk of developing candidemia. Furthermore, he is investigating the emergence of extended-spectrum beta lactamase producing organisms and community-acquired methcillin-resistant S. aureus in children. Finally, Dr. Zaoutis is studying patterns of antibiotic use in hospitalized children and the potential impact of antimicrobial stewardship programs on antibiotic utilization.
Clinical Trials, Diagnostic Testing, Multivariate Analysis, Survival Analysis, Time Series
- Associate Professor of Epidemiology in Biostatistics and Epidemiology at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2009 – 2013)
- Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2013– present)
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2003 – 2009)
- Professor of Epidemiology in Biostatistics and Epidemiology at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2013– present)
- Assistant Professor of Epidemiology in Biostatistics and Epidemiology at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2006 – 2009)
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2009 – 2013)
- MSCE, Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2005)
- MD, Medicine, Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University (1996)
- MCM, Clinical Microbiology, Hahnemann University (1987)
- BS, Biology, State University of New York at Stonybrook (1985)
- Fierro JL, Prasad P, Fisher BT, Gerber JS, Coffin SE, Walsh TJ, Zaoutis TE. Ocular Manifestations of candidemia in children. Pediatr Infect Dis J. Vol 32(1) . 2013 January:84-86.
- Steinbach WJ, Roilides E, Berman D, Hoffman JA, Groll AH, Bin-Hussain I, Palazzi DL, Castagnola E, Halasa N, Dvorak CC, Charkabarti A, Sung L, Danzinger-Isakov L, Lachenauer C, Arrieta A, Knapp K, Abzug M,J, Ziebold C, Lehrnbecher T, Klingspor L, Warris A, Leckerman K, Martling T, Walsh TJ, Benjamin DK, Zaoutis TE; the International Pediatric Fungal Network. Results from a Prospective, International, Epidemiologic Study of Invasive Candidiasis in Children and Neonates. Pediatr Infect Dis J. Vol 31(12) . 2012 Dec:1252-57.
- Sung L, Zaoutis T,Ullrich NJ, Johnston D, Dupuis L, Ladas E; on behalf of the Children's Oncology Group Cancer Control and Supportive Care Committee. Children's Oncology Groups' 2013 blueprint for research: Cancer control and supportive care. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2012 December.
- Han JH, Nachamkin I, Zaoutis TE, Coffin SE, Linkin DR, Fishman NO, Weiner MG, Hu B, Tolemeo P, Lautenbach E. Risk Factors for Gastrointestinal Tract Colonization with Extended-Spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL)-producing Escherichia coli and Klebsiella species in Hospitalized Patients. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. Vol 33(12) . 2012 Dec:1242-5.
- Kronman MP, Zaoutis TE, Haynes K, Feng R, Coffin SE. Antibiotic Exposure and IBD Development among Children: a Population-Based Cohort Study. Pediatrics. Vol 130(4) . 2012 October:e794-e803.
- Newland JG, Stach LM, De Lurgio SA, Hedican E, Yu D, Herigon JC, Prasad PA, Jackson MA, Zaoutis TE. Impact of a Prospective-Audit-With-Feedback Antimicrobial Stewardship Program at a Children's Hospital. Journal of the Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society. Vol 1(3) . 2012 September:190-7.
- Morris DO, Lautenbach E, Zaoutis T, Leckerman K, Edelstein PH, Rankin SC. Potential for Pet Animals to Harbour Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus When Residing with Human MRSA Patients.. Zoonoses Public Health.. Vol 59(4) . 2012 June:286-93.
- Syridou G, Mavridou M, Amanatidou V, Spyridis N, Prasad P, Papaventsis D, Kanavakis S, Zaoutis T, Tsolia MN. Trends in the epidemiology of childhood tuberculosis in Greece. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. Vol 16(6) . 2012 June:749-55.
- Dotis J, Prasad P, Zaoutis T, Roilides E. Epidemiology, risk factors and outcomes of Candida parapsilosis bloodstream infections in children. Pediatr Infect Dis J. Vol 31(6) . 2012 June:557-60.
- Fisher BT, Zaoutis TE, Park JR, Bleakley M, Englund JA, Kane C, Arceci RJ, Guinan E, Smith FO, Luan X, Marr KA. Galactomannan antigen testing for diagnosis of invasive aspergillosis in pediatric hematology patients. J Ped Infect Dis. Vol 1(2) . 2012 June:103-11.