Dr. Zaoutis' research focuses on healthcare-acquired infections and antibiotic resistance. Within the area of healthcare-acquired infections, he is particularly interested on fungal infections. His work also focuses on pediatric pharmacoepidemiology as it relates to the judicious use of antimicrobial agents (antimicrobial stewardship) in both the hospital and ambulatory care. Finally, Dr. Zaoutis is Associate Director of the Center for Pediatric Clinical Effectiveness Research at the Children?s Hospital of Philadelphia. The center promotes research on how to best manage pediatric illness, disseminates knowledge gained from research, and partners with other groups to implement best practices to improve the quality of care delivered to children.
Infectious Diseases, Pediatrics, Pharmacoepidemiology
Dr. Zaoutis? research focuses on healthcare-acquired infections and antibiotic resistance. He is investigating the epidemiology of fungal infections in children with a specific focus on how antibiotics may affect the risk of developing candidemia. Furthermore, he is investigating the emergence of extended-spectrum beta lactamase producing organisms and community-acquired methcillin-resistant S. aureus in children. Finally, Dr. Zaoutis is studying patterns of antibiotic use in hospitalized children and the potential impact of antimicrobial stewardship programs on antibiotic utilization.
Clinical Trials, Diagnostic Testing, Multivariate Analysis, Survival Analysis, Time Series
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2009 – 2013)
- Associate Professor of Epidemiology in Biostatistics and Epidemiology at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2009 – 2013)
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2003 – 2009)
- Assistant Professor of Epidemiology in Biostatistics and Epidemiology at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2006 – 2009)
- Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2013– present)
- Professor of Epidemiology in Biostatistics and Epidemiology at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2013– present)
- MSCE, Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2005)
- MD, Medicine, Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University (1996)
- MCM, Clinical Microbiology, Hahnemann University (1987)
- BS, Biology, State University of New York at Stonybrook (1985)
- Prasad PA, Fisher BT, Coffin SE, Walsh TJ, McGowan KL, Gross R, Zaoutis TE. Pediatric Risk Factors for Candidemia Secondary to Candida glabrata and Candida krusei Species. J Pediatric Infect Dis Soc. Vol 2(3) . 2013 Sep:263-266.
- de Blank P, Zaoutis T, Fisher B, Troxel A, Kim J, Aplenc R. Trends in Clostridium difficile Infection and Risk Factors for Hospital Acquisition of Clostridium difficile among Children with Cancer. J Pediatr. Vol 163(3) . 2013 Sep:699-705.
- Goyal M, Hersh A, Luan X, Localio R, Trent M, Zaoutis T. National trends in pelvic inflammatory disease among adolescents in the emergency department. J Adolesc Health. Vol 53(2) . 2013 Aug:249-52.
- Goyal M, Hersh A, Luan X, Mollen C, Localio R, Trent M, Zaoutis T. Frequency of pregnancy testing among adolescent emergency department visits. Acad Emerg Med. Vol 20(8) . 2013 Aug:816-21.
- Sammons JS, Localio R, Xiao R, Coffin SE, Zaoutis T. Clostridium difficile infection is Associated with Increased Risk of Death and Prolonged Hospitalization in Children. Clin Infect Dis. Vol 57(1) . 2013 July:1-8.
- Goyal M, Hersh A, Luan X, Localio R, Trent M, Zaoutis T. Are emergency departments appropriately treating adolescent pelvic inflammatory disease?. JAMA Pediatr. Vol 167(7) . 2013 July:672-673.
- Mougkou K, Michos A, Spyridopoulou K, Daikos GL, Spyridis N, Syriopoulou V, Zaoutis T. Colonization of high-risk children with carbapenemase-producing enterobacteiaceiae in Greece. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. Vol 34(7) . 2013 July:757-9.
- Gamaletsou MN, Walsh TJ, Zaoutis T, Pagoni M, Kotsopoulou M, Voulgarelis M, Panayiotidis P, Vassilakopoulos T, Angelopoulou MK, Marangos M, Spyridonidis A, Kofteridis D, Pouli A, Sotiropoulos D, Matsouka P, Argyropoulou A, Perloretzou S, Leckerman K, Manaka A, Oikonomopoulos P, Daikos G, Petrikkos G, Sipsas NV. A prospective, cohort, multicentre study of candidaemia in hospitalized adult patients with haematological malignancies. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2013 Jun.
- Gerber JS, Prasad PA, Fiks AG, Localio AR, Grundmeier RW, Bell LM, Wasserman RC, Keren R, Zaoutis TE. Effect of an outpatient antimicrobial stewardship intervention on broad-spectrum antibiotic prescribing by primary care pediatricians: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA. Vol 309(22) . 2013 June:2345-52.