apheresis, plasma exchange, plasmapheresis, erythrocytapheresis (red blood cell exchange)
pediatric laboratory medicine
CVI Program Unit(s):
Thrombosis / Hemostasis
CVI Research Description:
I am a clinical pathologist and apheresis physician with a research interest in laboratory hematology and transfusion medicine. I have a special interest in understanding the pathophysiology of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP), a blood disorder that causes thrombocytopenia, anemia, renal dysfunction, and neurological changes. I am also involved in developing assays for the von Willebrand protein cleaving protease ADAMTS13 and studying the role of anti-ADAMTS13 autoantibodies in TTP.
In addition, I collaborate with basic and clinical researchers who are interested in determining the hematological effects of various experimental conditions on peripheral blood counts in humans and other experimental models of disease.
Dr. Shelat is interested in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP) and its treatment and has developed assays for the von Willebrand protein cleaving protease ADAMTS13.
He also collaborates with investigators interested in determining the hematologic phenotype in experimental animal models of disease (analysis of white blood cells, red blood cells, platelets, and reticulocytes).
I am a clinical pathologist and apheresis physician with an interest in laboratory hematology and transfusion medicine. I collaborate with basic and clinical researchers who are interested in determining the hematological endpoints in their animal models of disease, including complete blood counts (CBC), white cell differentials, and reticulocytes.
I have a special interest in understanding the pathophysiology of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP) and developing assays for the von Willebrand protein cleaving protease ADAMTS13.
thrombotic thrombocytopenia purpura (TTP)
ADAMTS-13, vWF cleaving protease
hematological parameters in experimental animals (CBC: complete blood counts, red blood cells (RBC), white blood cells (WBC), Differentials (lymphocytes, monocytes, neutrophils/polymorphonuclear, basophils, eosinophils)), reticulocytes.
transfusion medicine and apheresis
- Assistant Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2003 – 2009)
- MD, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1999)
- PhD, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1998)
- BS, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1991)
- Shelat SG, Farrell SB, Kim HC, Drew C.. Alternative method to determine the hematocrit of red cell units: a potential use in the apheresis unit.. Transfusion. Vol 49(6) . 2009 Jun:1255-1258.
- Shelat, SG. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura and sickle cell disease.. Clin Appl Thromb Hem. Vol 16(2) . 2010:224-227.
- Shelat SG, Canfield W, Shibutani S.. Differences in detecting blasts between Advia 2120 and Beckman-Coulter LH750 hematology analyzers.. Int'l J Laboratory Hematology. Vol 32. 2010:113-116.
- Shelat SG. Hemolytic anemias. Diagnostic Pediatric Hematopathology. Cambrige University Press; 2011 in press.
- Shelat S. and Eder A.. Anemia in the Neonatal Period. Pediatric Hematology and Oncology: The Requisites in Pediatrics. Elsevier Health Sciences, Mosby; 2012 in press.
- dos Santos CO, Dore LC, Valentine E, Shelat SG, Hardison RC, Ghosh M, Wang W, Eisenstein RS, Costa FF, Weiss MJ.. An Iron responsive element-like stem-loop regulates alpha hemoglobin stabilizing protein mRNA.. J Biol Chem. Vol 283(40) . 2008 Oct:26956-64.
- Shelat SG, Tomaski A, Pollak E. Serologic Results in >1000 Patients with Suspected Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia. Clinical and Applied Thrombosis/Hemostasis. Vol 14(4) . 2008:210-214.
- Shaz BH, Brecher M, Li Y, Mair D, Marshal C, Sachais B, Sarode R, Schwartz J, Shelat SG, Weinstein R, Winters J, Szczepiorkowski Z, Andrzejewski C.. Addressing challenges in resident and fellow training in apheresis medicine. J Clin Apheresis. Vol 23(1) . 2008:15.
- Shelat SG, Chacosky D, Shibutani, S. Differences in Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rates (ESR) using the Westergren method and centrifugation method.. American Journal of Clinical Pathology. Vol 130(1) . 2008 Jul:127-130.
- dos Santos C, Yu D, Amigo J, Kandros E, Valentine ER, Shelat SG, Dore LC, Yu Y, D? Souza J, Saghi G, Paw BH, Orange JS, Weiss MJ.. The microRNA144/451 Locus Enhances Nuclear FOXO3a Activity to Protect Erythroid Cells against Oxidant Stress.. Blood. Vol 112. 2008:277.
- Gregory GD, Wang Y, Hong W, Miccio A, Bersenev A, Yu X, Wang H, Choi J, Shelat SG, Tong W, Blobel G.. The GATA-1 Cofactor FOG-1 Recruits NuRD to Promote Normal Erythroid and Megakaryocyte Development and Maintain Lineage Fidelity by Restricting Mast Cell Gene Expression.. Blood. Vol 112. 2008:1373.
- Shelat SG, Lott, Braga M, Chokshi D:. Red Blood Cell Exchange in the Treatment of Severe Falciparum Malaria.. Transfusion. Vol 48(S2). 2008:49A.
- Hong W, Wang H, Wang Y, Choi JK, Shelat SG, Poncz M, Blobel GA.. The GATA-1/FOG-1/NuRD axis is essential for normal hematopoiesis. Blood. Vol 110(11) . 2007 Nov:117a.
- Chen M, Kundu M, Shelat SG, Kujoth G, Zediak VP, Bhandoola A, Prolla T, Thompson JE.. Animal Model of Mitochondrial Dysfunction Generating Macrocytic Anemia and Myelodysplastic Bone Marrow Failure. Blood. Vol 110(11) . 2007 Nov:125a.
- Shelat SG, Friedman DF, Meny GM, Smith-Whitley K, Carlo C, Norris R. False positive pregnancy test following passive transfusion of beta-human chorionic gonadotropin (bHCG) from donor red blood cells during erythrocytapheresis. Transfusion. Vol 47(5) . 2006:788-791.
- Shelat SG, Smith P, Ai J, Zhang L.. Inhibitory autoantibodies against ADAMTS-13 in patients with thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura bind ADAMTS13 protease and may accelerate its clearance in vivo. J Thrombosis and Hemostasis. Vol 4(8) . 2006 Aug:1707-1717.
- Shelat SG, Ai J, Zhang L. Molecular Biology of ADAMTS13 and Diagnostic Utility of ADAMTS13 Proteolytic Activity and Inhibitor Assays.. Semin Thromb Hemost.. Vol 31(6) . 2005:659-672.
- Shelat S.G. and Eder A.. Photopheresis. Check Sample. American Society for Clinical Pathology; 2004 October.
- Salto-Tellez M, Shelat SG, Benoit B, Rennert H., Carroll M, Leonard DGB, Nowell P, Bagg A.. Multiplex rt-PCR for the detection of leukemia-associated translocations: validation and application to routine molecular diagnostic practice. Journal of Molecular Diagnostics. Vol 5(4) . 2003:231-236.
- Tao J, Shelat SG, Jaffe ES, Bagg A.. Aggressive Epstein-Barr Virus-Associated, CD8+, CD30+, CD56+, Surface CD3-, Natural Killer (NK)-Like Cytotoxic T-Cell Lymphoma. American Journal of Surgical Pathology. Vol 26(1) . 2002:111-118.