I am a psychiatrist who worked mainly with treatment-resistant outpatients suffering from schizophrenia. Since moving in July, 2012 from Cornell Medical College to UPenn/The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, I am not seeing patients as I focus on laboratory research into the causes of neuropsychiatric illnesses.
Cerebral cortex development
Cortical GABAergic interneuron development
Schizophrenia, autism, epilepsy
Mouse and Human Stem Cells
The focus of my laboratory concerns the molecular and cellular mechanisms that govern the development of the mammalian forebrain. We use mouse genetics, forebrain slice and dissociated culture techniques, as well as mouse and human pluripotent stem cells in cell culture and transplantation experiments to study the fate determination of interneurons of the cerebral cortex. We are particularly interested in understanding the molecular underpinnings behind the fate determination and axon targeting of subclasses of GABAergic interneurons implicated in the neuropathology of schizophrenia. In addition, we are exploring the use of mouse and human stem cell-derived interneurons in cell-based therapies for seizures, and as tools for the study of gene-gene and gene-environment interactions in neuropsychiatric disease, including schizophrenia and autism.
- Associate Professor of Psychiatry at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2012– present)
- MD, Medicine, University of Connecticut (1989)
- BA, Neuroscience, Amherst College (1984)
- Inan, M., Petros, T. J., Anderson, S. A.. Losing your inhibition: linking cortical GABAergic interneurons to schizophrenia. Neurobiol Dis. Vol 53. 2013:36-48.
- Petros, T. J., Maurer, C. W., Anderson, S. A.. Enhanced derivation of mouse ESC-derived cortical interneurons by expression of Nkx2.1. Stem Cell Res. Vol 11(1) . 2013:647-56.
- Maroof, A. M., Keros, S., Tyson, J. A., Ying, S. W., Ganat, Y. M., Merkle, F. T., Liu, B., Goulburn, A., Stanley, E. G., Elefanty, A. G., Widmer, H. R., Eggan, K., Goldstein, P. A., Anderson, S. A., Studer, L.. Directed differentiation and functional maturation of cortical interneurons from human embryonic stem cells. Cell Stem Cell. Vol 12(5) . 2013:559-72.
- Goulburn, A. L., Stanley, E. G., Elefanty, A. G., Anderson, S. A.. Generating GABAergic cerebral cortical interneurons from mouse and human embryonic stem cells. Stem Cell Res. Vol 8(3) . 2012:416-26.
- Inan, M., Welagen, J., Anderson, S. A.. Spatial and temporal bias in the mitotic origins of somatostatin- and parvalbumin-expressing interneuron subgroups and the chandelier subtype in the medial ganglionic eminence. Cereb Cortex. Vol 22(4) . 2012:820-7.
- Brown, K. N., Chen, S., Han, Z., Lu, C. H., Tan, X., Zhang, X. J., Ding, L., Lopez-Cruz, A., Saur, D., Anderson, S. A., Huang, K., Shi, S. H.. Clonal production and organization of inhibitory interneurons in the neocortex. Science. Vol 334(6055) . 2011:480-6.
- Woodruff, A. R., McGarry, L. M., Vogels, T. P., Inan, M., Anderson, S. A., Yuste, R.. State-dependent function of neocortical chandelier cells. J Neurosci. Vol 31(49) . 2011:17872-86.
- Goulburn, A. L., Alden, D., Davis, R. P., Micallef, S. J., Ng, E. S., Yu, Q. C., Lim, S. M., Soh, C. L., Elliott, D. A., Hatzistavrou, T., Bourke, J., Watmuff, B., Lang, R. J., Haynes, J. M., Pouton, C. W., Giudice, A., Trounson, A. O., Anderson, S. A., Stanley, E. G., Elefanty, A. G.. A targeted NKX2.1 human embryonic stem cell reporter line enables identification of human basal forebrain derivatives. Stem Cells. Vol 29(3) . 2011:462-73.
- De la Cruz, E., Zhao, M., Guo, L., Ma, H., Anderson, S. A., Schwartz, T. H.. Interneuron Progenitors Attenuate the Power of Acute Focal Ictal Discharges. Neurotherapeutics. 2011.
- Cundiff, P. E., Anderson, S. A.. Impact of induced pluripotent stem cells on the study of central nervous system disease. Curr Opin Genet Dev. Vol 21(3) . 2011:354-61.