CVI Program Unit(s):
Lipid / Atherosclerosis / CAD / ACS / Prevention
CVI Research Description:
I am currently the Medical Director of the Diabetes Center for Children at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. I have research interests in type 1 and type 2 diabetes and their relationship to premature cardiovascular disease.
Dr. Willi is interested in therapeutics for type 1 and type 2 diabetes and has performed a number of physiologic studies in the etiology and characterization of diabetes in children.
Current studies include three trials on the delay of progression of type 1 diabetes and a multicenter trial to examine the optimal therapeutics for type 2 diabetes in children.
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2004– present)
- MD, Johns Hopkins University (1985)
- BA, Chemistry, Johns Hopkins University (1981)
- Arslanian S, Pyle L, Washington G, Payan M, Bacha F, Caprio S, Haymond MW, Levitsky LL, Goland R, White NH, Willi SM.. Effects of metformin, metformin plus rosiglitazone, and metformin plus lifestyle on insulin sensitivity and ß-cell function in TODAY.. Diabetes Care. Vol 36(6) . 2013 June:1749-57.
- Montgomery KA, Ratcliffe SJ, Baluarte HJ, Murphy KM, Willi S, Lipman TH.. Implementation of a clinical practice guideline for identification of microalbuminuria in the pediatric patient with type 1 diabetes.. Nurs Clin North Am.. Vol 48(2) . 2013 June:343-52.
- White NH, Pyle L, Willi SM, Pham T, Chernausek SD, Goland R, Berrie N, Hale DE, Haymond MW, Nadeau KJ, Narasimhan S.. Safety and tolerability of the treatment of youth-onset type 2 diabetes: the TODAY experience.. Diabetes Care. Vol 36(6) . 2013 June:1765-71.
- Lebastchi J, Deng S, Lebastchi AH, Beshar I, Gitelman S, Willi S, Gottlieb P, Akirav EM, Bluestone JA, Herold KC. Immune Therapy and ß-Cell Death in Type 1 Diabetes. Diabetes. Vol 62(5) . 2013 May:1676-1680.
- Rafalson L, Pham TH, Willi SM, Marcus M, Jessup A, Baranowski T. The association between acanthosis nigricans and dysglycemia in an ethnically diverse group of eighth grade students. Obesity. Vol 21(3) . 2013 March:E328-E333.
- Cengiz E, Xing D, Wong JC, Wolfsdorf JI, Haymond MW, Rewers A, Shanmugham S, Tamborlane WV, Willi SM, Seiple DL, Miller KM, Dubose SN, Beck RW; for the T1D Exchange Clinic Network. Severe hypoglycemia and diabetic ketoacidosis among youth with type 1 diabetes in the T1D Exchange clinic registry. Pediatr Diabetes. Vol 21(3) . 2013 March:E328-33.
- Herold KC, Gitelman SE, Willi SM, Gottlieb PA, Waldron-Lynch F, Devine L, Sherr J, Rosenthal SM, Adi S, Jalaludin MY, Michels AW, Dziura J, Bluestone JA. Teplizumab treatment may improve C-peptide responses in participants with type 1 diabetes after the new-onset period: a randomised controlled trial. Diabetologia. Vol 56(2) . 2013 February:391-400.
- Mietus-Snyder M, Drews KL, Otvos JD, Willi SM, Foster GD, Jago R, Buse JB; HEALTHY Study Group. Low-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol versus Particle Number in Middle School Children. J Pediatr. Vol 163. 2013 February:355-62.
- Buse JB, Kaufman FR, Linder B, Hirst K, El Ghormli L, Willi S; HEALTHY Study Group. Diabetes screening with hemoglobin a1c versus fasting plasma glucose in a multiethnic middle-school cohort. Diabetes Care. Vol 36(2) . 2013 February:429-35.
- Lynch DR, Willi SM, Wilson RB, Cotticelli MG, Brigatti KW, Deutsch EC, Kucheruk O, Shrader W, Rioux P, Miller G, Hawi A, Sciascia T. A0001 in Friedreich ataxia: Biochemical characterization and effects in a clinical trial. Mov Disord.. Vol 27(8) . 2012 July:1026-1033.