Teaching pediatric otolaryngology to pediatrics residents:
Each of the CHOP PGY 1 residents spends a morning session with me, while I am seeing 30-40 outpatients, learning important points regarding the pediatric ear examination and management of ear diseases.
Medical Ethics: I teach medical ethics and professionalism to Penn Medical students in their Doctoring courses, and in yearly Human Research and Clincal Ethics courses. I also conduct a year long ethics curricula for our Pediatric Otolaryngology Fellows.
Electronic Health Record:
I am fully committed to faciliting CHOP's transformation to digital medical records. I am one of the executive sponsers and Clincal champion of the Department of Surgery in this multi-pronged initiative.
I have developed a simple model of the tympanic membrane to aid in teaching techniques of myringotomy and tympanostomy tube insertion and tympanocentesis to medical students and residents.
- Assistant Professor of Otorhinolaryngology at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1977 – 1980)
- Assistant Professor of Otorhinolaryngology at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (1980 – 1986)
- Associate Professor of Otorhinolaryngology at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (1986 – 1995)
- Professor of Otorhinolaryngology: Head and Neck Surgery at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (1995– present)
- MBE, Bioethics, University of Pennsylvania (2004)
- MD, UCLA School of Medicine (1972)
- BS, Psychology, Yale College (1968)
- Dave SP, Handler SD. Auricular injury with deformity following delivery by cesarean section.. Ear, Nose & Throat Journal. Vol 87(3) . 2008 March:128.
- Baum ED, Elden LM, Handler SD, Tom LWC. Management of hypopharyngeal and esophageal perforations in children.. Ear, Nose & Throat Journal. Vol 87(1) . 2008 January:44-47.
- Samadi, DS, Shah UK, Handler SD.. Choanal atresia: A twenty-year review of medical comorbidities and surgical outcomes.. Laryngoscope. Vol 113. 2003.
- Kang PB, Phuah HK, Zimmerman RA, Handler SD, Dure LS, Ryan SH.. Medial medullary injury during adenoidectomy.. Journal of Pediatrics. Vol 138. 2001.
- Kim S, Handler SD.. Traumatic perilymphatic fistulas in children: etiology diagnosis and management.. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology. Vol 60. 2001.
- Agarwal RP, Handler SD, Matthews MR, Carpentieri D.. Pilomatrixoma of the head and neck in children.. Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery. Vol 125. 2001.
- Puchalski R, Shah UK, Carpentieri D, McLaughlin R, Handler SD.. Melanotic neuroectodermal tumor of infancy (MNTI) of the hard palate: Presentation and management.. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology. Vol 53. 2000:163-168.
- Suskind DL, Tavill MA, Handler SD. Doxyclycline sclerotherapy of benign lymphoepithelial cysts of the parotid: A minimally invasive treatment.. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology. Vol 52. 2000:157-161.
- Solot CB, Knightly C, Handler SD et al. Communication disorders in the 22q11.2 microdeletion syndrome.. Journal of Communicative Disorders. Vol 33(3) . 2000:187-204.
- Padon AA, Handler S. This Won?t Hurt A Bit: Truth-telling to Children. The Penn Center Guide to Bioethics. Springer; 2009:461-472.
- Rickert SM, Handler SD. Disease of the Salivary Glands. Pediatric Otolaryngology. Principles and Practice Pathways, 2nd ed.. Thieme Medical Publishers, New York, NY; 2012:620-629.