- Centers of Emphasis:
In my lab at the Center for Autism Research we study early brain and cognitive development of infants and children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. I study the relationship between genes, brain and behavior over the course of development, to understand why some children at risk for ASD go on to get a diagnosis. My research involves neuroimaging, cognitive methods and collaborations with geneticists at Penn and CHOP.
Our goal is to use our findings to devise more effective and timely treatments and interventions.
- Research Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2008– present)
- PhD, Developmental Psychology, University College London (2000)
- MSc, Psychological Research Methods, Lancaster University (1996)
- BSc Hons, Psychology, University College London (1995)
- Kim SH. Fonov VS. Dietrich C. Vachet C. Hazlett HC. Smith RG. Graves MM. Piven J. Gilmore JH. Dager SR. McKinstry RC. Paterson S. Evans AC. Collins DL. Gerig G. Styner MA. IBIS network. FA Kim, Sun Hyung. Fonov, Vladimir S. Dietrich, Cheryl. Vachet, Clement. Hazlett, Heather C. Smith, Rachel G. Graves, Michael M. Piven, Joseph. Gilmore, John H. Dager, Stephen R. McKinstry, Robert C. Paterson, Sarah. Evans, Alan C. Collins, D Louis. Gerig, Guido. Styner, Martin Andreas. IBIS network.. Adaptive prior probability and spatial temporal intensity change estimation for segmentation of the one-year-old human brain.. Journal of Neuroscience Methods. Vol 212(1) . 2013 Jan:43-55.
- South, M., Herrington, J., Paterson S.. Neuroimaging in Autism Spectrum Disorders. The Autisms: Molecules to Model Systems.. 2013:20-41.
- Paterson, S., Estes, E., Winder, B.M., Gilman, C., Gu, H., Zwaigenbaum, L., IBIS Network. Patterns of Temperament Development in Infants at Risk for ASD.. International meeting for Autism Research, San Sebastian, Spain. 2013.
- Elison JT, Wolff JJ, Heimer DC, Paterson SJ, Gu H, Hazlett HC, Styner M, Gerig G, Piven J; IBIS Network.. Frontolimbic neural circuitry at 6 months predicts individual differences in joint attention at 9 months.. Developmental science. Vol 16(2) . 2013:186-97.
- Winder BM, Wahed A, Rescorla L, Paterson, S,. Temperament in Infants at Heightened Risk for Autism Spectrum Disorder.. International meeting for Autism Research, San Sebastian, Spain. 2013.
- Elison JT, Paterson SJ, Wolff JJ, Reznick JS, Sasson NJ, Gu H, Botteron KN, Dager SR, Estes AM, Evans AC, Gerig G, Hazlett HC, Schultz RT, Styner M, Zwaigenbaum L, Piven J; IBIS Network.. White matter microstructure and atypical visual orienting in 7-month-olds at risk for autism.. American Journal of Psychiatry. Vol 170(8) . 2013:899-908.
- Paterson, S., Parish-Morris, J., Golinkoff, R.M., Kauper, S., Pulverman, R., Hirsh-Pasek, K.. Losing Face: Preschoolers at risk for ASD do not reference the face when decoding intentional actions.. International Meeting for Autism Research, San Sebastian, Spain. 2013.
- Pandey, J., Kauper, S., Paterson, S.J. & The IBIS Network. The assessment of adaptive functioning in toddlers with ASD: A comparison of two widely used measures.. International Meeting for Autism Research, San Sebastian, Spain. 2013.
- Hazlett Heather Cody, Gu Hongbin, McKinstry Robert C, Shaw Dennis W W, Botteron Kelly N, Dager Stephen R, Styner Martin, Vachet Clement, Gerig Guido, Paterson Sarah J, Schultz Robert T, Estes Annette M, Evans Alan C, Piven Joseph. Brain volume findings in 6-month-old infants at high familial risk for autism.. The American journal of psychiatry. Vol 169(6) . 2012 Jun:601-8.
- Wolff Jason J, Gu Hongbin, Gerig Guido, Elison Jed T, Styner Martin, Gouttard Sylvain, Botteron Kelly N, Dager Stephen R, Dawson Geraldine, Estes Annette M, Evans Alan C, Hazlett Heather C, Kostopoulos Penelope, McKinstry Robert C, Paterson Sarah J, Schultz Robert T, Zwaigenbaum Lonnie, Piven Joseph. Differences in white matter fiber tract development present from 6 to 24 months in infants with autism.. The American journal of psychiatry. Vol 169(6) . 2012 Jun:589-600.