Dr. Keren is a pediatric hospitalist and researcher who studies the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of treatments for common diseases of childhood, such as neonatal jaundice, influenza, and urinary tract infections. His research has been funded by NIH, AHRQ, CDC, as well as other foundation grants. He is currently the principal investigator on three R01 grants including a multi-center randomized controlled trial of antibiotic prophylaxis for children with VUR (RIVUR study), a prospective cohort study of children with history of urinary tract infection but no VUR (CUTIE study), and a project to merge clinical and administrative data from six large children's hospitals for the performance of comparative effectiveness research (PROSPECT).
Infectious Diseases, Pediatrics, Newborn Screening
Dr. Keren studies the efficacy and cost-effectiveness of treatments for common problems in general pediatrics, i.e. prediction and prevention of newborn hyperbilirubinemia and kernicterus, the therapeutic and radiological management of children with urinary tract infections (UTIs) and the epidemiology and economics of influenza.
Clinical Trials, Diagnostic Testing, Health Services Research, Meta-analysis, Multivariate Analysis, Cost-Effective Analysis
- Associate Professor of Epidemiology in Biostatistics and Epidemiology at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2008 – 2013)
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2001 – 2008)
- Associate Professor of Surgery at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2011– present)
- Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2013– present)
- Professor of Epidemiology in Biostatistics and Epidemiology at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2013– present)
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2008 – 2013)
- M.P.H., Clinical Effectiveness, Harvard School of Public Health (2001)
- M.D., New York University School of Medicine (1994)
- B.A., Philosophy, Princeton University (1989)
- Coffin SE, Leckerman K, Keren R, Hall M, Localio R, Zaoutis TE.. Oseltamivir shortens hospital stays of critically ill children hospitalized with seasonal influenza: a retrospective cohort study.. Pediatr Infect Dis J. Vol 30(11) . 2011 Nov:962-6.
- Kim Steve S, Luan Xianqun, Canning Douglas A, Landis J Richard, Keren Ron. Association between body mass index and urolithiasis in children.. The Journal of urology. Vol 186(4 Suppl) . 2011 Oct:1734-9.
- McLeod Lisa, French Benjamin, Dai Dingwei, Localio Russell, Keren Ron. Patient volume and quality of care for young children hospitalized with acute gastroenteritis.. Archives of pediatrics & adolescent medicine. Vol 165(9) . 2011 Sep:857-63.
- Weiss Pamela F, Klink Andrew J, Behrens Edward M, Sherry David D, Finkel Terri H, Feudtner Chris, Keren Ron. Enthesitis in an inception cohort of enthesitis-related arthritis.. Arthritis care & research. Vol 63(9) . 2011 Sep:1307-12.
- Narus Scott P, Srivastava Rajendu, Gouripeddi Ramkiran, Livne Oren E, Mo Peter, Bickel Jonathan P, de Regt David, Hales Joseph W, Kirkendall Eric, Stepanek Richard L, Toth Jamie, Keren Ron. Federating Clinical Data from Six Pediatric Hospitals: Process and Initial Results from the PHIS+ Consortium.. AMIA ... Annual Symposium proceedings / AMIA Symposium. AMIA Symposium. Vol 2011. 2011:994-1003.
- Weiss PF, Klink AJ, Localio R, Hall M, Hexem K, Burnham JM, Keren R, Feudtner C. Corticosteroids may improve clinical outcomes during hospitalization for Henoch Schönlein purpura. Pediatrics published online. 2010 September:(doi: 10.1542/peds.2010.3348)..
- Paschke AA, Zaoutis T, Conway PH, Xie D, Keren R.. Previous Antimicrobial Exposure Is Associated With Drug-Resistant Urinary Tract Infections in Children.. Pediatrics. Vol 125(4) . 2010 March:664-72.
- Wood JN, Hall M, Keren R, Schilling S, Mitra N, Rubin DM.. Disparities in the Evaluation and Diagnosis of Abuse Among Infants with Traumatic Brain Injury.. Pediatrics. 2010.
- Weiss, P. F., Klink, A. J., Hexem, K., Burnham, J. M., Leonard, M. B., Keren, R., Localio, R., and Feudtner, C.. Variation in inpatient therapy and diagnostic evaluation of children with Henoch Schönlein purpura.. J Pediatr.. Vol 155(28) . 2009 July:812-818.e1..