CVI Program Unit(s):
Cardiovascular Development / Congenital Heart Disease
Biotechnology / Nanomedicine / Imaging
CVI Research Description:
Heart valve disease, gene delivery stents, biomaterials, nanotechnology
Dr. Levy's major research interests are heart valve disease, gene delivery stents, biomaterials and nanotechnology.
Heart Valve Disease: Research programs underway concerning the developmental basis for aortic valve disease, mechanistic studies of progression of calcific aortic stenosis, serotonin mechanisms in heart valve disease, and novel biomaterials for heart valve prostheses.
Gene delivery stents are an area of major interest: plasmid or viral vectors configured in sustained release preparations onto vascular stents for site specific vascular gene therapy.
Magnetic intravascular delivery of nanoparticles to treat arterial disease.
- Professor of Pharmacology at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2004– present)
- Professor of Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1997– present)
- M.D., Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1970)
- Fishbein Ilia, Forbes Scott P, Chorny Michael, Connolly Jeanne M, Adamo Richard F, Corrales Ricardo A, Alferiev Ivan S, Levy Robert J. Adenoviral vector tethering to metal surfaces via hydrolyzable cross-linkers for the modulation of vector release and transduction.. Biomaterials. Vol 34(28) . 2013 Sep:6938-48.
- Forbes, Scott P., Alferiev, Ivan S., Chorny, Michael, Adamo, Richard F., Levy, Robert J., Fishbein, Ilia. Modulation of NO and ROS production by AdiNOS transduced vascular cells through supplementation with L-Arg and BH4: Implications for gene therapy of restenosis. Atherosclerosis. Vol 230(1) . 2013 Sep:23-32.
- Ma G, Wang Y, Fishbein I, Yu M, Zhang L, Alferiev IS, Yang J, Song C, Levy RJ. Anchoring of self-assembled plasmid DNA/ anti-DNA antibody/cationic lipid micelles on bisphosphonate-modified stent for cardiovascular gene delivery. Int J Nanomedicine. Vol 8. 2013 March:1029-1035.
- Chorny Michael, Fishbein Ilia, Tengood Jillian E, Adamo Richard F, Alferiev Ivan S, Levy Robert J. Site-specific gene delivery to stented arteries using magnetically guided zinc oleate-based nanoparticles loaded with adenoviral vectors.. FASEB J. 2013 Feb.
- Branchetti Emanuela, Sainger Rachana, Poggio Paolo, Grau Juan B, Patterson-Fortin Jeffrey, Bavaria Joseph E, Chorny Michael, Lai Eric, Gorman Robert C, Levy Robert J, Ferrari Giovanni. Antioxidant enzymes reduce DNA damage and early activation of valvular interstitial cells in aortic valve sclerosis.. Arteriosclerosis, thrombosis, and vascular biology. Vol 33(2) . 2013 Feb:e66-74.
- Finley MJ, Rauova L, Alferiev IS, Weisel JW, Levy RJ, Stachelek SJ.. Diminished adhesion and activation of platelets and neutrophils with CD47 functionalized blood contacting surfaces.. Biomaterials. Vol 33(24) . 2012 Aug:5803-5811.
- Chen C-Y , Bertozzi C, Zou Z, Yuan L, Lee J, Lu M-M, Stachelek S, Srinivasan S, Guo L, Vicente A, Mericko P, Levy RJ, Makinen T, Oliver G, Kahn M.. Blood flow reprograms lymphatic vessels to blood vessels through shear-mediated loss of endothelial PROX1.. J Clin Invest. Vol 122(6) . 2012 June:2006-17.
- Chorny M, Alferiev IS, Fishbein I, Tengood JE, Folchman-Wagner Z, Forbes SP, Levy, RJ. Formulation and In Vitro Characterization of Composite Biodegradable Magnetic Nanoparticles for Magnetically Guided Cell Delivery.. Pharm Res. Vol 29(5) . 2012 May:1232-41.
- Stachelek Stanley J, Finley Matthew J, Alferiev Ivan S, Wang Fengxiang, Tsai Richard K, Eckells Edward C, Tomczyk Nancy, Connolly Jeanne M, Discher Dennis E, Eckmann David M, Levy Robert J. The effect of CD47 modified polymer surfaces on inflammatory cell attachment and activation.. Biomaterials. Vol 32(19) . 2011 Jul:4317-26.