- Administrative Units:
Clinical Translational Research
Dr. Adamson's laboratory focuses on the clinical pharmacology of new drugs for childhood cancer.
My primary research focus has been on pediatric cancer drug development, specifically early phase clinical trials and clinical pharmacologic studies. In January of 2011 I became Chair of the Children?s Oncology Group (COG), a National Cancer Institute supported consortium of more than 220 centers across North America, Australia, New Zealand and parts of Europe, which conducts clinical-translational research including large-scale clinical trials in children with cancer. Previously I served as Chair of the COG?s Developmental Therapeutics Program. Other key roles that I have served in include Director of the Office for Clinical and Translational Research at The Children?s Hospital of Philadelphia, co-Director of the University of Pennsylvania ? CHOP Clinical Translational Science Award (CTSA), Program Director of the General Clinical Research Center (GCRC) and Principal Investigator of its NICHD funded Pediatric Pharmacology Research Unit (PPRU).
Our laboratory focuses on the clinical pharmacology of new drugs for childhood cancer using an integrated approach that incorporates preclinical studies in both in vitro and animal models, and clinical trials with clinical pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic-pharmacogenetic studies in pediatric patients.
- Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2006– present)
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (1999 – 2006)
- Professor of Pediatrics in Pharmacology at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2009– present)
- Associate Professor of Pharmacology at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2004 – 2009)
- M.D., Medicine, Cornell University Medical College, New York, NY (1984)
- B.A., Chemistry, Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT (1980)
- Vassal, G., Zwaan, C. M., Ashley, D., Le Deley, M. C., Hargrave, D., Blanc, P., Adamson, P. C.. New drugs for children and adolescents with cancer: the need for novel development pathways. Lancet Oncol. Vol 14(3) . 2013:e117-24.
- Mosse, Y. P., Lim, M. S., Voss, S. D., Wilner, K., Ruffner, K., Laliberte, J., Rolland, D., Balis, F. M., Maris, J. M., Weigel, B. J., Ingle, A. M., Ahern, C., Adamson, P. C., Blaney, S. M.. Safety and activity of crizotinib for paediatric patients with refractory solid tumours or anaplastic large-cell lymphoma: a Children''s Oncology Group phase 1 consortium study. Lancet Oncol. Vol 14(6) . 2013:472-80.
- Norris Robin E, Adamson Peter C. Challenges and opportunities in childhood cancer drug development.. Nature reviews. Cancer. Vol 12(11) . 2012 Nov:776-82.
- Glade Bender Julia, Blaney Susan M, Borinstein Scott, Reid Joel M, Baruchel Sylvain, Ahern Charlotte, Ingle Ashish M, Yamashiro Darrell J, Chen Alice, Weigel Brenda, Adamson Peter C, Park Julie R. A phase I trial and pharmacokinetic study of aflibercept (VEGF Trap) in children with refractory solid tumors: a children's oncology group phase I consortium report.. Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research. Vol 18(18) . 2012 Sep:5081-9.
- Aplenc Richard, Blaney Susan M, Strauss Lewis C, Balis Frank M, Shusterman Suzanne, Ingle Ashish Mark, Agrawal Shruti, Sun Junfeng, Wright John J, Adamson Peter C. Pediatric phase I trial and pharmacokinetic study of dasatinib: a report from the children's oncology group phase I consortium.. Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. Vol 29(7) . 2011 Mar:839-44.
- Glauser Tracy A, Cnaan Avital, Shinnar Shlomo, Hirtz Deborah G, Dlugos Dennis, Masur David, Clark Peggy O, Capparelli Edmund V, Adamson Peter C,. Ethosuximide, valproic acid, and lamotrigine in childhood absence epilepsy.. The New England journal of medicine. Vol 362(9) . 2010 Mar:790-9.
- Widemann Brigitte C, Balis Frank M, Kim AeRang, Boron Matthew, Jayaprakash Nalini, Shalabi Aiman, O'Brien Michelle, Eby Michelle, Cole Diane E, Murphy Robert F, Fox Elizabeth, Ivy Percy, Adamson Peter C. Glucarpidase, leucovorin, and thymidine for high-dose methotrexate-induced renal dysfunction: clinical and pharmacologic factors affecting outcome.. Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. Vol 28(25) . 2010 Sep:3979-86.
- Jakacki Regina I, Hamilton Marta, Gilbertson Richard J, Blaney Susan M, Tersak Jean, Krailo Mark D, Ingle Ashish M, Voss Stephan D, Dancey Janet E, Adamson Peter C. Pediatric phase I and pharmacokinetic study of erlotinib followed by the combination of erlotinib and temozolomide: a Children's Oncology Group Phase I Consortium Study.. Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. Vol 26(30) . 2008 Oct:4921-7.
- Skolnik Jeffrey M, Barrett Jeffrey S, Jayaraman Bhuvana, Patel Dimple, Adamson Peter C. Shortening the timeline of pediatric phase I trials: the rolling six design.. Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. Vol 26(2) . 2008 Jan:190-5.
- Fox Elizabeth, Razzouk Bassem I, Widemann Brigitte C, Xiao Shaun, O'Brien Michelle, Goodspeed Wendy, Reaman Gregory H, Blaney Susan M, Murgo Anthony J, Balis Frank M, Adamson Peter C. Phase 1 trial and pharmacokinetic study of arsenic trioxide in children and adolescents with refractory or relapsed acute leukemia, including acute promyelocytic leukemia or lymphoma.. Blood. Vol 111(2) . 2008 Jan:566-73.