CVI Program Unit Administrator:
Thrombosis / Hemostasis
CVI Program Unit(s):
Thrombosis / Hemostasis
CVI Research Description:
Interested in thrombosis and hemostasis, vascular biology, the development of atherosclerosis, and megakaryopoiesis. My studies are mostly on platelets, platelet chemokines, platelet integrins and gene regulation in megakaryopoiesis. I am a pediatric hematologist by training.
Platelet biology in regulating thrombosis using novel approaches for the targeted delivery of coagulation, anti-thrombotic and anti-angiogenic agents.
Role of platelets in thrombus development
Key words: platelet; megakaryocyte; hematopoiesis; thrombosis.
Description of Research
My research efforts focus on the megakaryocyte-platelet-thrombus axis. The process by which hematopoietic stem cells differentiate into megakaryocytes, which then release platelets and the function of platelets in thrombosis and inflammation are the central foci of my laboratory. Many of the studies focus on the biology and pathobiology of the platelet-specific proteins, chemokines Platelet Factor 4 (PF4)/Platelet Basic Protein (PBP) and the integrin alphaIIb/beta3 receptor.
Rotation Projects for 2006-2007
1. Murine models of thrombosis.
2. Regulation of megakaryocyte gene expression.
3. Gene therapy lentiviral studies for bleeding disorders. Chemokine sin thrombosis and angiogenesis.
1 grad student
1 MD post-doc
3 PhD post-docs
5 lab techs
1 Assist Prof Res
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1982 – 1989)
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1989 – 1994)
- Professor of Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1994– present)
- Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2003 – 2005)
- M.D., University of Pennsylvania (1976)
- B.S., Columbia University (1972)
- Suzuki Aae, Shin Jae-Won, Wang Yuhuan, Min Sang H, Poncz Morty, Choi John K, Discher Dennis E, Carpenter Chris L, Lian Lurong, Zhao Liang, Wang Yangfeng, Abrams Charles S. RhoA Is Essential for Maintaining Normal Megakaryocyte Ploidy and Platelet Generation.. PloS one. Vol 8(7) . 2013 July:e69315.
- Siner Joshua I, Iacobelli Nicholas P, Sabatino Denise E, Ivanciu Lacramiora, Zhou Shangzhen, Poncz Mortimer, Camire Rodney M, Arruda Valder R. Minimal modification in the factor VIII B-domain sequence ameliorates the murine hemophilia A phenotype.. Blood. Vol 121(21) . 2013 May:4396-403.
- Lambert Michele P, Sullivan Spencer K, Fuentes Rudy, French Deborah L, Poncz Mortimer. Challenges and promises for the development of donor-independent platelet transfusions.. Blood. Vol 121(17) . 2013 Apr:3319-24.
- Zhi Huiying, Rauova Lubica, Hayes Vincent, Gao Cunji, Boylan Brian, Newman Debra K, McKenzie Steven E, Cooley Brian C, Poncz Mortimer, Newman Peter J. Cooperative integrin/ITAM signaling in platelets enhances thrombus formation in vitro and in vivo.. Blood. Vol 121(10) . 2013 Mar:1858-67.
- Love Melissa S, Millholland Melanie G, Mishra Satish, Kulkarni Swapnil, Freeman Katie B, Pan Wenxi, Kavash Robert W, Costanzo Michael J, Jo Hyunil, Daly Thomas M, Williams Dewight R, Kowalska M Anna, Bergman Lawrence W, Poncz Mortimer, DeGrado William F, Sinnis Photini, Scott Richard W, Greenbaum Doron C. Platelet factor 4 activity against P. falciparum and its translation to nonpeptidic mimics as antimalarials.. Cell host & microbe. Vol 12(6) . 2012 Dec:815-23.
- Ono Yukako, Wang Yuhuan, Suzuki Hidenori, Okamoto Shinichiro, Ikeda Yasuo, Murata Mitsuru, Poncz Mortimer, Matsubara Yumiko. Induction of functional platelets from mouse and human fibroblasts by p45NF-E2/Maf.. Blood. Vol 120(18) . 2012 Nov:3812-21.
- Sachais Bruce S, Litvinov Rustem I, Yarovoi Serge V, Rauova Lubica, Hinds Jillian L, Rux Ann H, Arepally Gowthami M, Poncz Mortimer, Cuker Adam, Weisel John W, Cines Douglas B. Dynamic antibody-binding properties in the pathogenesis of HIT.. Blood. Vol 120(5) . 2012 Aug:1137-42.
- Lambert M P, Reznikov A, Grubbs A, Nguyen Y, Xiao L, Aplenc R, Rauova L, Poncz M. Platelet factor 4 platelet levels are inversely correlated with steady-state platelet counts and with platelet transfusion needs in pediatric leukemia patients.. Journal of thrombosis and haemostasis : JTH. Vol 10(7) . 2012 Jul:1442-6.
- Meng Ronghua, Wang Yuhuan, Yao Yu, Zhang Zhe, Harper Dawn C, Heijnen Harry F G, Sitaram Anand, Li Wei, Raposo Graça, Weiss Mitchell J, Poncz Mortimer, Marks Michael S. SLC35D3 delivery from megakaryocyte early endosomes is required for platelet dense granule biogenesis and is differentially defective in Hermansky-Pudlak syndrome models.. Blood. Vol 120(2) . 2012 Jul:404-14.
- Zaitsev S, Kowalska MA, Neyman M, Carnemolla R, Tliba S, Ding BS, Stonestrom A, Spitzer D, Atkinson JP, Poncz M, Cines DB, Esmon CT, Muzykantov VR.. Targeting recombinant thrombomodulin fusion protein to red blood cells provides multifaceted thromboprophylaxis.. Blood. Vol 119. 2012:4779-85.