CVI Program Unit(s):
Lipid / Atherosclerosis / CAD / ACS / Prevention
CVI Research Description:
Elucidation of the molecular mechanisms underlying the anti-atherogenic properties of HDL and apolipoproteins A-I and E.
The study of the structure-function relationships of plasma lipoproteins and apolipoproteins, and HDL-mediated cholesterol transport. A range of physical-biochemical methods are employed in conjunction with cell culture systems and, more recently, mouse models to generate mechanistic insights into these systems.
- Adjunct Professor of Medicine at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2013– present)
- Research Professor of Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2000 – 2013)
- Ph.D., Southampton University, Southampton, England (1965)
- B.Sc., Chemistry and Mathematics, Southampton University, Southampton, England (1962)
- Tanaka M, Koyama M, Dhanasekaran P, Nguyen D, Nickel M, Lund-Katz S, Saito H, Phillips MC. "Influence of Tertiary Structure Domain Properties on the functionality of Apolipoprotein A-I". Biochemistry. Vol 47. 2008:2172-2180.
- Duong PT, Weibel GL, Lund-Katz S, Rothblat GH, Phillips MC. "Characterization and Properties of Pre Beta-HDL Particles Formed by ABCA1-mediated Cellular Lipid Efflux to ApoA-I". J Lipid Res. Vol 49. 2008:1006-1014.
- Vedhachalam C, Duong PT, Nickel M, Nguyen D, Dhanasekaran P, Sait H, Rothblat GH, Lund-Katz S, Phillips MC. "Mechanism of ATP-binding Cassette Transporter AI (ABCA1)-mediated Cellular Lipid Efflux to Apolipoprotein A-I and Formation of High Density Lipoprotein Particles". J. Biol. Chem.. Vol 282. 2007:25123-25130.
- Vedhachalam C, Gehring AB, Davidson WS, Lund-Katz S, Rotyhblat GH, Phillips MC. "ABCA1-induced Cell Surface Binding Sites for ApoA-I". Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol.. Vol 27. 2007:1603-1609.
- Duong PT, Collins HL, Nickel M, Lund-Katz S, Rothblat GH, Phillips MC. "Characterization of nascent HDL particles and microparticles formed by ABCA1-mediated efflux of cellular lipids to apoA-I". J Lipid Res. Vol 47. 2006:832-843.
- Vedhachalam C, Liu L, Nickel M, Dhanasekaran P, Anantharamaiah GM, Lund-Katz S, Rothblat GH, Phillips MC. "Influence of ApoA-I structure on the ABCA1-mediated efflux of cellular lipids". J Biol Chem. Vol 279. 2004:49931-49939.
- Saito H, Dhanasekaran P, Nguyen D, Deridder E, Holvoet P, Lund-Katz S, Phillips MC. "Alpha-helix formation is required for high affinity binding of human apolipoprotein A-I to lipids". J Biol Chem. Vol 279. 2004:20974-20981.
- Thuahnai ST, Lund-Katz S, Dhanasekaran P, de la Llera-Moya M, Connelly MA, Williams DL, Rothblat GH, Phillips MC. "Scavenger receptor class B type I-mediated cholesteryl ester-selective uptake and efflux of unesterified cholesterol. Influence of high density lipoprotein size and structure". J Biol Chem. Vol 13. 2004:12448-12455.
- Saito H, Dhanasekaran P, Nguyen D, Holvoet P, Lund-Katz S, Phillips MC. "Domain structure and lipid interaction in human apolipoproteins A-I and E, a general model". J Biol Chem. Vol 278. 2003:23227-23232.
- Jonas A, Phillips MC. "Lipoprotein Structure". Biochemistry of Lipids, Lipoproteins and Membranes. Elsevier; 2008:485-506.