Dr. Marsac's clinical expertise is focused on supporting children and their families. She has experience with children with posttraumatic stress, anxiety, depression, and ADHD. In addition, she has a specialization in working with children adjusting to or coping with illness, injuries, and medical procedures.
Dr. Marsac?s research focuses on promoting adjustment and preventing posttraumatic stress in ill and injured children and their parents. In particular, Dr. Marsac leads research to better understand coping and to promote positive coping in children and families facing medical events.
Dr. Marsac has served as a principal investigator for several projects examining child and parent coping with stressful medical events (asthma, dental procedures, cancer, injury and trauma). She is currently leading a project (funded by a K23) to examine biological factors, coping, appraisals, and posttraumatic stress following pediatric injury with goals of advancing understanding of potential un-malleable screening variables (biological) as well as malleable factors (psychological, environmental) to target in PTSD preventive interventions. Additionally, Dr. Marsac and her research team are conducting several studies evaluating preventive programs for psychological symptoms in children with injuries (e.g., "Coping Coach") and and illnesses (e.g., Cellie Coping Kit- www.celliecopingkit.org).
Dr. Marsac is the Training Director at the Center for Injury Research and Prevention at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. She develops and evaluates training programs focused on injury science and the training of future researchers.
Dr. Marsac also serves as the Training Lead for the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia's Violence Prevention Initiative. In this role, she collaborates with providers to maximize and evaluate the delivery of trauma-informed care to children and families across pediatric healthcare networks.
- Research Assistant Professor of Psychology in Psychiatry at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2013– present)
- PhD, Psychology, University of Toledo (2008)
- MA, Psychology, University of Toledo (2005)
- BS, Neuroscience Psychology, Baldwin-Wallace College (2003)
- Marsac, M.L., Hildenbrand, A., Clawson, K., Jackson, L, Kohser, K., Barakat, L, Kassam-Adams, N., Aplenc, R., Vinsel, A, Alderfer, M.A.. Preliminary data on acceptability and feasibility of the Cellie Cancer Coping Kit. Supportive Care in Cancer. Vol 20(12) . 2012:3315-3324.
- Marsac, M.L., Hildenbrand, A.K., Kohser, K., Winston, F.K., Li, Y., & Kassam-Adams, N.. A randomized controlled trial of a web-based psychoeducational intervention for parents of children with injuries.. Journal of Pediatric Psychology. in press.
- Kassam-Adams, N, García-España, JF, Marsac, ML, Kohser, K, Baxt, C, Nance, M, & Winston, F.. A pilot randomized controlled trial assessing secondary prevention of traumatic stress integrated into pediatric trauma care. Journal of Traumatic Stress. Vol 24(3) . 2011:252-259.
- Kassam-Adams, N., Marsac, M.L., Hildenbrand, A.K., & Winston, F.K.. Posttraumatic stress following pediatric injury: Update on diagnosis, risk factors, and intervention. JAMA Pediatrics. in press.
- Hildenbrand, A.K., Clawson, K., Alderfer, M.A., Marsac, M.L.. Coping with pediatric cancer: Strategies employed by children and their parents to manage cancer-related stressors during treatment. Journal of Pediatric Oncology Nursing. Vol 28(6) . 2011:344-354.
- Marsac, M.L., Mirman, J.H., Kohser, K.L., Kassam-Adams, N.. Child coping and parent coping assistance during the peri-trauma period in injured children. Family Systems & Health. Vol 29(4) . 2011:279-290.
- Marsac, M.L., Cirilli, C., Winston, F.K., Kassam-Adams, N.. Post-injury Medical and Psychosocial Care in Children: Impact of Traumatic Stress Symptoms. Child Health Care. Vol 40(2) . 2011:116-129.
- Kassam-Adams, N., Palmieri, P.A., Rork, K., Delahanty, D.L., Kennardy, J., Kohser, K.L., Landolt, M.A., Le Brocque, R., Marsac, M.L., Meiser-Stedman, R., Nixon, R.D.V., Bui, E., & McGrath, C.. Acute stress symptoms in children: Results from and international data archive. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. Vol 51(8) . 2012:812-820.
- Marsac, M.L., Donlon, K.A., Winston, F.K., Kassam-Adams, N.. Child coping, parent coping assistance, and posttraumatic stress following pediatric physical injury. Child: Care, Health & Development. Vol 39(2) . 2013:171-177.
- Marsac, M.L., Donlon, K.A., Hildenbrand, A.K., Winston, F.K., & Kassam-Adams, N. Acute traumatic stress and subsequent coping in children with injuries resulting from motor vehicle accidents. Clinical Child Psychology and Psychiatry. in press.
- Marsac, M.L., Kosher, K.L., Winston, F.K., Kenardy, J., March, S., & Kassam-Adams, N.. Using a web-based game to prevent posttraumatic stress in children following medical events: Design of a randomized controlled trial. European Journal of Psychotraumatology. in press.
- Hildenbrand, A.K., Alderfer, M.A., Deatrick, J.A., & Marsac, M.L.. A mixed-methods assessment of coping with pediatric cancer. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology. in press.
- Hildenbrand, A. K., Nicholls, E. G., Daly, B. P., Marsac, M. L., Tarazi, R., & Raybagkar, D.. Psychosocial and pharmacological management of pain in pediatric sickle cell disease. Postgraduate Medicine. in press.