Dr. Schreiner has been interested in the design, execution and management of pediatric pharmaceutical trials, and in the ethical conduct of children as human research subjects.
Research Regulation and Compliance
Pediatric Clinical Trials
Drug Development, pediatric
Multi-center Clinical Trial Coordination
- Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (1984 – 1993)
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1988 – 1993)
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1993– present)
- Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (1993– present)
- MD, Medicine, St. Louis University (1978)
- BA, Chemistry, The University of Rochester (1974)
- Schreiner, MS. Ensuring Transparency: Presenting the Trade-Offs Between the Research Treatment Options. American Journal of Bioethics. Vol 13(12) . 2013 December:50-2.
- Apfelbaum JL, Silverstein JH, Chung FF, Connis RT, Fillmore RB, Hunt SE, Nichinovich, Schreiner, MS. Practice Guidelines for Postanesthetic Care: An Updated Report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on Postanesthetic Care. Anesthesiology. Vol 96. 2013:291-307.
- Stricker PA, Zuppa1 AF, Fiadjoe JE, Maxwell LG, Sussman EM, Pruitt EY, Goebel TK,Gastonguay TR, Taylor JA, Bartlett SP, Schreiner MS. Population pharmacokinetics of epsilon-aminocaproic acid in infants undergoing craniofacial reconstruction surgery. British Journal of Anaesthesia. Vol 110. 2013:788-99.
- Cook-Sather, SD, Gallagher, PR, Kruge, LE, Beus, JM, Ciampa, BP, Welch, KC, Shah-Hosseini, S, Choi, JS, Pachikara, R, Minger, K, Litman, RS, Schreiner, MS. Overweight/Obesity and Gastric Fluid Characteristics in Pediatric Day Surgery: Implications for Fasting Guidelines and Pulmonary Aspiration Risk. Anesthesia & Analgesia. Vol 109(3) . 2009:727-36.
- Tabbutt, S, Nicolson, SC, Adamson, PC, Zhang, X, Hoffman, ML, Wells, W, Backer, CL, McGowan, FX, Tweddell, JS, Bokesch, P and Schreiner, M. The safety, efficacy, and pharmacokinetics of esmolol for blood pressure control immediately after repair of coarctation of the aorta in infants and children: a multicenter, double-blind, randomized trial. Journal of Thoracic Cardiovascular Surgery. Vol 136(2) . 2008:321-8.
- Tabbutt, S, Nicolson, SC, Dominguez, TE, Wells, W, Backer, CL, Tweddell, JS, Bokesch, P and Schreiner, M. Perioperative course in 118 infants and children undergoing coarctation repair via a thoracotomy: a prospective, multicenter experience. Journal of Thoracic Cardiovascular Surgery. Vol 136(5) . 2008:1229-36.
- Anninger W, Forbes B, Quinn G, Schreiner MS. The effect of topical tetracaine eye drops on emergence behavior and pain relief after strabismus surgery. Journal of American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus. Vol (in press). 2007.
- Adamson, PC, Rhodes LA, Saul JP, Dick M, Epstein MR, Moate P, Boston R, Schreiner MS. Pharmacokinetics of esmolol in pediatric subjects with supraventricular arrhythmias. Pediatric Cardiology. Vol 27. 2006:420-7.
- Kimberly MB, Hoehn KS, Feudtner C, Nelson RM, Schreiner MS. Variation in IRB-Approved Consent and Assent Forms in Three Multi-Center Pediatric Randomized Placebo-Controlled Trials. Pediatrics. Vol 117. 2006:1706-11.
- Cook-Sather SD, Harris KA, Chiavacci R, Gallagher PR, Schreiner MS. A liberalized fasting guideline for formula-fed infants does not increase average gastric fluid volume prior to elective surgery. Anesthesia & Analgesia. Vol 96. 2003:965-9.