pain interventions for pediatric sickle cell disease; family-based interventions to improve adaptation among children with cancer and their caregivers; evidence-based assessment in pediatric oncology
doctoral training in clinical psychology
My federally-funded research program is focused examining risk-and-resistance models of adaptation to pediatric chronic conditions particularly sociodemographic and family factors in quality of life and disease management in pediatric hematology and oncology. Another focus is on translating risk-and-resistance models into empirically supported interventions to improve disease management, school functioning, quality of life in pediatric samples. Within oncology, at present, I have an active research program examining evidenced based assessment in clinical care and posttraumatic stress and posttraumatic growth in survivors of childhood cancer and their caregivers. Future projects involve understanding perceived benefits and barriers to participation in clinical trials and examining engagement of adolescents and young adults with cancer in this decision-making and implications for adherence to treatment and quality of life.
- Professor of Clinical Psychology in Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2013– present)
- Associate Professor of Clinical Psychology in Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2009 – 2013)
- PhD, Clinical-Community Psychology, University of South Carolina (1991)
- BA, Psychology, Villanova University (1985)
- Dampier, C., & Barakat, L.P.. Sickle cell pain. Textbook of Pediatric Pain. 2014.
- Barakat, L.P., Daniel, L.C., & Sills, R.. Functional Symptoms in Hematology/Oncology. Functional Symptoms in Pediatric Diseases: A Clinical Guide. 2014.
- Daniel, L.C., Hocking, M., & Barakat, L.P.. Cancer. Clinical Practice of Pediatric Psychology: Cases and Service Delivery. New York: Guilford; 2014.
- Schwartz Lisa A, Brumley Lauren D, Tuchman Lisa K, Barakat Lamia P, Hobbie Wendy L, Ginsberg Jill P, Daniel Lauren C, Kazak Anne E, Bevans Katherine, Deatrick Janet A. Stakeholder Validation of a Model of Readiness for Transition to Adult Care. JAMA pediatrics. 2013 Aug.
- Noll, R.B., Patel, S. Embry, L., Hardy, K.K., Pelletier, W., Annett, R., Patenaude, A., Lown, A., Sands, S., & Barakat, L.P.. Children?s Oncology Group?s 2013 blueprint for research: Behavioral Sciences. Pediatric Blood and Cancer. Vol 60. 2013 June:1048-1054.
- Smith Kelsey E, Patterson Chavis A, Szabo Margo M, Tarazi Reem A, Barakat Lamia P. Predictors of Academic Achievement for School Age Children with Sickle Cell Disease. Advances in school mental health promotion. Vol 6(1) . 2013:5-20.
- Noll Robert B, Patel Sunita K, Embry Leanne, Hardy Kristina K, Pelletier Wendy, Annett Robert D, Patenaude Andrea, Lown E Anne, Sands Stephen A, Barakat Lamia P. Children's Oncology Group's 2013 blueprint for research: Behavioral science. Pediatric blood & cancer. Vol 60(6) . 2012 Dec:1048-54.
- Marsac Meghan L, Hildenbrand Aimee K, Clawson Kathleen, Jackson Leela, Kohser Kristen, Barakat Lamia, Kassam-Adams Nancy, Aplenc Richard, Vinsel Anne, Alderfer Melissa A. Acceptability and feasibility of family use of The Cellie Cancer Coping Kit. Supportive care in cancer. Vol 20(12) . 2012 Dec:3315-24.
- Barakat Lamia P, Patterson Chavis A, Mondestin Valerie, Chavez Veronica, Austin Tahirah, Robinson M Renee, Li Yimei, Smith-Whitley Kim, Cohen Robyn. Initial development of a questionnaire evaluating perceived benefits and barriers to pediatric clinical trials participation. Contemporary clinical trials. Vol 34(2) . 2012 Nov:218-226.
- Kazak Anne E, Brier Moriah, Alderfer Melissa A, Reilly Anne, Fooks Parker Stephanie, Rogerwick Stephanie, Ditaranto Susan, Barakat Lamia P. Screening for psychosocial risk in pediatric cancer. Pediatric blood & cancer. Vol 59(5) . 2012 Nov:822-7.