Division of Hematology 11th Floor Colket Building The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia 34th & Civic Center Blvd.
sickle cell disease; bone marrow failure, transfusion medicine
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2006– present)
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (1996 – 2006)
- MCEB, Clinical Epidemiology & Biostatistics, University of Pennsylvania (1995)
- MD, George Washington University (1989)
- MGA, General Administration, Specialization Health Care, University of Maryland (1985)
- BS, Duke University (1982)
- Styles Lori, Wager Carrie G, Labotka Richard J, Smith-Whitley Kim, Thompson Alexis A, Lane Peter A, McMahon Lillian E C, Miller Robin, Roseff Susan D, Iyer Rathi V, Hsu Lewis L, Castro Oswaldo L, Ataga Kenneth I, Onyekwere Onyinye, Okam Maureen, Bellevue Rita, Miller Scott T. Refining the value of secretory phospholipase A2 as a predictor of acute chest syndrome in sickle cell disease: results of a feasibility study (PROACTIVE).. British journal of haematology. Vol 157(5) . 2012 Jun:627-36.
- Scothorn DJ, Price C, Schwartz D, Terrill C, Buchanan GR, Shurney W, Sarniak I, Fallon R, Chu JY, Pegelow CH, Wang W, Casella JF, Resar LS, Berman B, Adamkiewicz T, Hsu LL, Ohene-Frempong K, Smith-Whitley K, Mahoney D, Scott JP, Woods GM, Watanabe M, Debaun MR. Risk of recurrent stroke in children with sickle cell disease receiving blood transfusion therapy for at least five years after initial stroke. Journal of Pediatrics. Vol 140(2). 2002:225-229.
- Katz ML, Smith-Whitley K, Ruzek SB, Ohene-Frempong K. Knowledge of stroke risk, signs of stroke, and the need for stroke education among children with sickle cell disease and their caregivers. Ethnicity and Health. Vol 7(2). 2002:115-123.
- Hord J, Byrd R, Stowe L, Windsor B, Smith-Whitley K. Streptococcus pneumoniae sepsis and meningitis in children with sickle cell disease during the penicillin prophylaxis era. Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology. Vol 24(6). 2002:470-472.
- Long, DE, Radcliffe J, Smith-Whitley K. Parent factors and adolescent sickle cell disease: associations with patterns of health service use. J Ped Psychol. Vol 27(5). 2002:475-484.
- Wang WC, Helms RW, Lynn HS, Redding-Lallinger R, Gee BE, Ohene-Frempong, K, Smith-Whitley K, Waclawiw, MA, Vichinsky EP, Styles LA, Ware RE, Kinney TR. The effect of hydroxyurea on growth and development in children with sickle cell anemia:results of the HUG-KIDS Study. Journal of Pediatrics. Vol 140(2). 2002:225-229.
- Ware RE, Eggleston B, Redding-Lallinger R, Wang WC, Smith-Whitley K, Daeschner C, Gee B, Styles LA, Helms RW, Kinney TR, Ohene-Frempong K. Predictors of fetal hemoglobin response in children with sickle cell anemia receiving hydroxyurea therapy. Blood. Vol 99(1). 2002:10-14.
- Barakat L, Smith-Whitley K, Schulman S, Rosenberg D, Puri R, Ohene-Frempong K. Nocturnal enuresis in children and adolescents with sickle cell disease. J Dev Behav Pediatric. Vol 22. 2001:300-305.
- Calderwood S, Kilpatrick L, Douglas SD, Freedman M, Smith-Whitley K, Rolland M, Kurtzberg J. Recombinant human granulocyte colony-stimulating factor therapy for patients with neutropenia and/or neutrophil dysfunction secondary to glycogen storage disease type 1b. Blood. Vol 97(2). 2001:376-382.
- Kwiatkowski J, West TB, Heidary N, Smith-Whitley K, Cohen AR. Severe iron deficiency anemia in young children. Journal of Pediatrics. Vol 135. 1999:514-516.