Dr. Sullivan works on the regulation of genes involved in inflammation. Her work has included the study of genetic susceptibilities to lupus and the epigenetics of inflammation.
The etiopathogenesis of lupus and the regulation of genes involved in inflammation.
We are interested in genes that control inflammation and specifically in the role of these genes in inflammatory disorders such as systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and Crohn's disease. Over-expression of TNF is a characteristic of most inflammatory diseases and anti-TNF antibody treatment is a valuable strategy. By understanding the regulation of TNF expression, we hope to develop strategies which would allow resetting of the TNF locus such that production is normalized.
A variety of techniques are used in the lab to understand the genetics of SLE. Chromatin immunoprecipitation is used to define the epigenetic status of a given locus and micrococcal nuclease is used to define nucleosome positions. Additional studies of chromatin as a dynamic modulator of gene expression are planned and we will continue to define the variables that are important in the development of lupus.
- Professor of Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2007– present)
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1993 – 2001)
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2001 – 2007)
- Ph.D., Immunology & Biochemistry, University of California at San Francisco (1988)
- M.D., University of California at San Francisco (1988)
- B.A., M.A., Biophysics, Johns Hopkins University (1980)
- Rahimi, H., Maurer, K., Akhter, E, Petri, M., Sullivan KE. Aberrant Regulation of the Integrin Very Late Antigen 4 in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. Lupus. 2013.
- Shi Lihua, Perin Juan C, Leipzig Jeremy, Zhang Zhe, Sullivan Kathleen E. Genome-wide analysis of interferon regulatory factor I binding in primary human monocytes.. Gene. Vol 487(1) . 2011 Nov:21-8.
- Zhang Z, Song L, Maurer K, Bagashev A, Sullivan K E. Monocyte polarization: the relationship of genome-wide changes in H4 acetylation with polarization.. Genes and immunity. Vol 12(6) . 2011 Sep:445-56.
- Orange Jordan S, Glessner Joseph T, Resnick Elena, Sullivan Kathleen E, Lucas Mary, Ferry Berne, Kim Cecilia E, Hou Cuiping, Wang Fengxiang, Chiavacci Rosetta, Kugathasan Subra, Sleasman John W, Baldassano Robert, Perez Elena E, Chapel Helen, Cunningham-Rundles Charlotte, Hakonarson Hakon. Genome-wide association identifies diverse causes of common variable immunodeficiency.. The Journal of allergy and clinical immunology. Vol 127(6) . 2011 Jun:1360-7.e6.
- Stadtmauer, EA, Vogl, DT, Prak, EL, Boyer, J, Aqui, NA, Rapoport, AP, McDonald, KR, Hou, X, Murphy, H, Bhagat, R, Mangan, PA, Chew, A, Veloso, EA, Levine, BL, Vonderheide, RH, Jawad, AF, June, CH, Sullivan, KE. Transfer of Influenza Vaccine-Primed Co-stimulated Autologoud T-Cells after Stem Cell Transplantation for Multiple Myeloma Leads to Reconstitution of Influenza Immunity: Results of a Randomized Clinical Trial. Blood/Journal of the American Society of Hematology. Vol 117(1) . 2011 January:63-71.
- Arakawa Rachel, Bagashev Asen, Song Li, Maurer Kelly, Sullivan Kathleen E. Characterization of LRRFIP1.. Biochemistry and cell biology = Biochimie et biologie cellulaire. Vol 88(6) . 2010 Dec:899-906.
- Bagashev Asen, Fitzgerald Michael C, Larosa David F, Rose Patrick P, Cherry Sara, Johnson Alfred C, Sullivan Kathleen E. Leucine-rich repeat (in Flightless I) interacting protein-1 regulates a rapid type I interferon response.. Journal of interferon & cytokine research : the official journal of the International Society for Interferon and Cytokine Research. Vol 30(11) . 2010 Nov:843-52.
- Zhang Z, Song L, Maurer K, Petri M A, Sullivan K E. Global H4 acetylation analysis by ChIP-chip in systemic lupus erythematosus monocytes.. Genes and immunity. Vol 11(2) . 2010 Mar:124-33.
- Zhang Zhe, Maurer Kelly, Perin Juan C, Song Li, Sullivan Kathleen E. Cytokine-induced monocyte characteristics in SLE.. Journal of biomedicine & biotechnology. Vol 2010. 2010:507475.
- Garrett, S., Dietzmann-Maurer, K., Song, L., Sullivan, K. E.. Polarization of primary human monocytes by IFN-? induces chromatin changes and recruits RNA Pol II to the TNF-a promoter.. J. Immunol.. (180) . 2008:5257-66.