Division of Rheumatology 10103 Colket Building The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia 34th & Civic Center Blvd.
Dr. Burnham's research involves the impact of chronic inflammatory illnesses on musculoskeletal health during childhood and the impact of vitamin D deficiency on skeletal and non-skeletal outcomes in pediatric lupus.
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2013– present)
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2004 – 2013)
- MS, Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2006)
- MD, Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1997)
- BA, Government, Dartmouth College (1992)
- Canna SW, Chauvin NA and Burnham JM. A 17 year old with isolated proximal tibiofibular joint arthritis. Pediatr Rheumatol Online J. Vol 11(1) . 2013 January.
- Burnham JM. Inflammatory diseases and bone health in children. Curr Opin Rheumatol. Vol 24(5) . 2012 September:548-53.
- Lerman M, Burnham J, Behrens E. 1,25 dihydroxyvitamin D3 limits monocyte maturation in lupus sera. Lupus. Vol 20(7) . 2011 June:749-53.
- von Scheven E, Burnham JM. Vitamin D supplementation in the pediatric rheumatology clinic. Curr Rheumatol Rep. Vol 13(2) . 2011 April:110-6.
- Weiss PF, Klink AJ, Localio R, Hall M, Hexem K, Burnham JM, Keren R, Feudtner C.. Corticosteroids may improve clinical outcomes during hospitalization for Henoch-Schonlein Purpura. Pediatrics. Vol 126(4) . 2010 October:674-81.
- Thayu M, Denson LA, Shults J, Zemel BS, Burnham JM, Baldassano RN, Howard KM, Ryan A, Leonard MB. Determinants of changes in linear growth and body composition in incident pediatric Crohn's disease. Gastroenterology. Vol 139(2) . 2010 August:430-8.
- Leonard MB, Elmi A, Mostoufi-Moab S, Shults J, Burnham JM, Thayu M, Kibe L, Wetzsteon RJ, Zemel BS. Effects of sex, race, and puberty on cortical bone and the functional muscle bone unit in children, adolescents, and young adults. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. Vol 95(4) . 2010 April:1681-9.
- Weiss PF, Klink AJ, Hexem K, Burnham JM, Leonard MB, Keren R, Localio R, Feudtner C. Variation in inpatient therapy and diagnostic evaluation of children with Henoch Schonlein Purpura. J Pediatr. Vol 155(6) . 2009 December.
- Wright TB, Shults J, Leonard MB, Zemel BS, Burnham JM. Hypovitaminosis D is associated with greater body mass index and disease activity in pediatric systemic lupus erythematosus. J Pediatr. Vol 155(2) . 2009 August:260-5.
- Wetzsteon R, Shults J, Zemel BS, Gupta PU, Burnham JM, Herskovitz RM, Howard KM, Leonard MB. Divergent effects of glucocorticoids on cortical and trabecular compartment bone mineral density in childhood nephrotic syndrome. J Bone Miner Res. Vol 24(3) . 2009 March:503-13.