As a member of the Pain Management Service at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Dr. Guite participates in the assessment and treatment of patients with both acute and chronic pain problems. Her areas of clinical interest include the evaluation and treatment of chronic pediatric pain syndromes within a multidisciplinary context. Her clinical work with patients and families is primarily problem focused and utilizes cognitive-behavioral and biofeedback treatment techniques to facilitate pain coping.
Dr. Guite's program of research is focused on pediatric pain with the goal of gaining a better understanding of psychosocial factors that contribute to pain-related disability and the broader impact of chronic pediatric pain within the family. Her research explores factors associated with stress and coping among patients with chronic pain syndromes and their families. Of particular interest are patient and parent pain-related beliefs, treatment expectations, and adherence to pain treatment recommendations as well as the development of interventions to improve treatment outcomes.
- Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2006 – 2012)
- Ph.D., Clinical Psychology, Department of Psychology & Human Development, Vanderbilt University (2001)
- M.S., Clinical Psychology, Department of Psychology & Human Development, Vanderbilt University (1997)
- B.A., Psychology, Brandeis University (1991)
- Kashikar-Zuck, Susmita, Flowers, Stacy R., Claar, Robyn Lewis, Guite, Jessica W., Logan, Deirdre E., Lynch-Jordan, Anne M., Palermo, Tonya M., Wilson, Anna C.. Clinical utility and validity of the Functional Disability Inventory (FDI) among a multicenter sample of youth with chronic pain. Pain. Vol 152(7) . 2011 7:1600-1607.
- Guite, Jessica W., McCue, Rebecca L., Sherker, Jennifer L., Sherry, David D., Rose, John B.. Relationships among pain, protective parental responses and disability for adolescents with chronic musculoskeletal pain: The mediating role of pain catastrophizing. The Clinical Journal of Pain. Vol 27(9) . 2011 11/12:775-781.
- Guite, Jessica W., Logan, Deirdre E., Simons, Laura E., Blood, Emily A. & Kerns, Robert D.. Readiness to change in pediatric chronic pain: Initial validation of adolescent and parent versions of the Pain Stages of Change Questionnaire. Pain. Vol 152(10) . 2011 10:2301-2311.
- Claar, R. L., Guite, J. W., Kaczynski, K. J. & Logan, D. E.. Factor structure of the Adult Responses to Children's Symptoms: Validation in children and adolescents with diverse chronic pain conditions.. The Clinical Journal of Pain. Vol 26(5) . 2010 6:410-417.
- Guite, J. W., Logan, D. E., McCue, R. L., Sherry, D. D., & Rose, J. B.. Parental beliefs and worries regarding adolescent chronic pain.. The Clinical Journal of Pain. Vol 25(3) . 2009:223-232.
- Long, A. C., & Guite, J. W.. Treatment-related expectations in pediatric chronic pain.. Pediatric Pain Letter. Vol 10(3) . www.childpain.org/ppl; 2008 12:18-22.
- Guite, J. W., Lobato, D. J., Shalon, L. B., Plante, W., & Kao, B. T.. Pain, disability, and symptoms among siblings of children with functional abdominal pain.. Journal of Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics. Vol 28(1) . 2007 2:2-8.
- Guite, J., Logan, D., Sherry, D., & Rose, J.. Adolescent self-perception: Associations with chronic musculoskeletal pain and functional disability.. The Journal of Pain. Vol 8(5) . 2007 5:379-386.
- Cucchiaro, G., Farrar, J. T., Guite, J. W., & Yuelin, L.. What postoperative outcomes matter to pediatric patients?. Anesthesia & Analgesia. Vol 102(5) . 2006:1376-1382.
- Logan, D. E., Guite, J. W., Sherry, D. D., & Rose, J. B.. Adolescent-parent relationships in the context of adolescent chronic pain conditions.. The Clinical Journal of Pain. Vol 22(6) . 2006:576-583.
- Nathan, A., Rose, J. B., Guite, J. W., Hehir, D., & Milovcich, K.. Primary erythromelalgia in a child responding to intravenous lidocaine and mexiletine.. Pediatrics. Vol 115. 2005:e504-e507.
- Guite, J. W., Lobato, D. J., Kao, B. T., & Plante, W.. Discordance between sibling and parent reports of the impact of chronic illness and disability on siblings.. Children's Health Care. Vol 33(1) . 2004:77-92.
- Guite, J. W., Walker, L. S., Smith, C. A., & Garber, J.. Children?s perceptions of peers with somatic symptoms: The impact of gender, stress, and illness.. Journal of Pediatric Psychology. Vol 25(3) . 2000:125-135.
- Walker, L. S., Guite, J. W., Duke, M., Barnard, J. A., & Greene, J. W.. Recurrent abdominal pain: A potential precursor of irritable bowel syndrome in adolescents and young adults.. Journal of Pediatrics. Vol 132(6) . 1998:1010-1015.