James Guevara, MD, MPH is Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania and an attending physician at the Children?s Hospital of Philadelphia. He has a number of administrative roles including Director of Interdisciplinary Initiatives at PolicyLab: Center to Bridge Research, Practice, and Policy at the Children?s Hospital of Philadelphia; Senior Fellow at the Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics; Senior Scholar at the Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics; and Assistant CEU Director for Faculty and Trainee Diversity at the Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics. He participates on a number of state and national committees including Chair of the Prevention/Intervention Subcommittee of the Early Childhood Mental Health Steering Committee for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, member of the Executive Research Committee of the Academic Pediatrics Association, and Associate Editor for the journal Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety. He has interests in the organization, financing, and delivery of health care services to children with developmental and behavioral disabilities. He was the principal investigator on a K23 Research Career Development Award from the National Institute of Mental Health 1) to develop a measure of collaborative ADHD care and 2) to pilot an intervention to link schools, mental health, primary care, and families for ADHD management. Currently, he is the principal investigator on an R18 Award from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to evaluate the feasibility, acceptability, and effectiveness of the American Academy of Pediatrics policy on developmental screening in urban primary care setting; an R40 Award from the Maternal Child Health Bureau to adapt and test a parenting intervention for depressed caregivers in primary care practices; and a Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Award to identify faculty diversity programs and assess their association with underrepresented minority faculty statistics at U.S. medical schools. Through these diverse research initiatives, he has focused on improving the delivery of healthcare in primary care settings, reducing health disparities, and translating research findings into practice and policy.
General and behavioral pediatrics
Pediatrics, Psychosocial, Asthma, ADHD Care & Management
Dr. Guevara studies developmental disabilities and behavioral health in children with a particular interest in the implementation and dissemination of evidence-based developmental and behavioral practices into policy.
Health Services Research, Meta-analysis, Multivariate Analysis
Developmental and Behavioral Disabilities
Systematic reviews and meta-analysis
Randomized Controlled Trials
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2000 – 2006)
- Associate Professor of Epidemiology in Biostatistics and Epidemiology at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2010– present)
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2006 – 2009)
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2009– present)
- M.P.H., Health Services, University of Washington (1999)
- M.D., Medicine, Northwestern University (1990)
- M.C.S., Theology, New College Berkeley (1985)
- B.S., Zoology, University of California, Davis (1984)
- Mollen, C.J., Guevara, J., Gerdes, M., Zlotnik, S., Kavanagh, J., Noonan, K.. Research to impact: strategic dissemination skills for achieving evidence-based health policy.. Workshop at the 2013 Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting, Washington, DC. 2013 May.
- Guevara, J.P., Gerdes, M., Rothman, B., Dougherty, S., Localio, R. Boyd, R.. Enhancing parenting skills for depressed caregivers: a pilot randomized trial.. Poster Presentation at the Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting, Washington, Dc. 2013 May.
- Guevara, J., Gerdes, M., Rothman, R., Dougherty, S., Localio, R., Boyd, R.. Screening for Parental Depression in Urban Primary Care: a Mixed Methods Study.. Poster Presentation at the Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting, Washington, DC. 2013 May.
- Power, T.J., Blum, N.J., Guevara, J.P., Jones, H.A., Leslie, L.K.. Coordinating mental health care across primary care and schools: ADHD as a case example.. Advances in School Mental Health Promotion - Special issue on Applications of Pediatric Psychology in the School-based Setting.. Vol DOI: 10.1080(1754730X.2013.749089) . 2013.
- Guevara, J.P., Gerdes, M., Localio, R., Huang, Y.V., Pinto-Martin, J., Minkovitz, C.S., Hsu, D., Kyriakou, L., Baglivo, S., Kavanagh, J., Pati, S.. Effectiveness of Developmental Screening in an Urban Primary Care Setting: The Translating Evidence-based Developmental Screening (TEDS) Trial. Pediatrics. Vol 131(30-37) . 2013.
- Guevara JP, Moon J, Hines EM, Fremont E, Forrest CB, Silber JH, Pati S. Continuity of Public Health Insurance Coverage: A Systematic Review. Medical Care Research and Review. In Press.
- Fiks AG, Mayne S, Debartolo E, Power TJ, Guevara JP. Parental Preferences and Goals Regarding ADHD Treatment. Pediatrics. Vol 132. 2013:1-11.
- Schelleman, H., Bilker, W.B., Kimmel, S.E., Daniel, G.W., Newcomb, C., Guevara, J.P., Cziraky, M.J., Strom, B.L.,, Henessy, S.. Amphetamines, Atomozetine, and risk of serious crdiovascular events in adults.. PLOS ONE. Vol 8(1): e52991(DOI: 10.1371) . 2013.
- Guevara, J.P., Gerdes, M., Rothman, B., Boyd, R., Localio, R., Smith, S.. Enhancing parenting for depressed caregivers.. Poster presentation at the American Academy Pediatrics National Convention and Exhibition, New Orleans, LA. 2012 October.
- Power, T.J., Mautone, J.A., Marshall, S.A., Sharman, J., Guevara, J.P., Blum, N.J.. Multimodal intervention for children with ADHD in urban primary care.. Poster Presentation at the annual meeting of the American Psychological Association, Orlando, FL. 2012 August.