James Guevara, MD, MPH is Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania and an attending physician at the Children?s Hospital of Philadelphia. He has a number of administrative roles including Director of Interdisciplinary Initiatives at PolicyLab: Center to Bridge Research, Practice, and Policy at the Children?s Hospital of Philadelphia; Senior Fellow at the Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics; Senior Scholar at the Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics; and Assistant CEU Director for Faculty and Trainee Diversity at the Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics. He participates on a number of state and national committees including Chair of the Prevention/Intervention Subcommittee of the Early Childhood Mental Health Steering Committee for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, member of the Executive Research Committee of the Academic Pediatrics Association, and Associate Editor for the journal Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety. He has interests in the organization, financing, and delivery of health care services to children with developmental and behavioral disabilities. He was the principal investigator on a K23 Research Career Development Award from the National Institute of Mental Health 1) to develop a measure of collaborative ADHD care and 2) to pilot an intervention to link schools, mental health, primary care, and families for ADHD management. Currently, he is the principal investigator on an R18 Award from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to evaluate the feasibility, acceptability, and effectiveness of the American Academy of Pediatrics policy on developmental screening in urban primary care setting; an R40 Award from the Maternal Child Health Bureau to adapt and test a parenting intervention for depressed caregivers in primary care practices; and a Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Award to identify faculty diversity programs and assess their association with underrepresented minority faculty statistics at U.S. medical schools. Through these diverse research initiatives, he has focused on improving the delivery of healthcare in primary care settings, reducing health disparities, and translating research findings into practice and policy.
General and behavioral pediatrics
Pediatrics, Psychosocial, Asthma, ADHD Care & Management
Dr. Guevara studies developmental disabilities and behavioral health in children with a particular interest in the implementation and dissemination of evidence-based developmental and behavioral practices into policy.
Health Services Research, Meta-analysis, Multivariate Analysis
Organization and financing of children's mental health
Effectiveness of asthma interventions
Systematic reviews and meta-analysis
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2009– present)
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2006 – 2009)
- Associate Professor of Epidemiology in Biostatistics and Epidemiology at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2010– present)
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2000 – 2006)
- M.P.H., Health Services, University of Washington (1999)
- M.D., Medicine, Northwestern University (1990)
- M.C.S., Theology, New College Berkeley (1985)
- B.S., Zoology, University of California, Davis (1984)
- Gerdes, M., Kavanagh, J., Localio, R., Guevara, J.. Effectiveness of the AAP recommended windows for developmental screening.. Platform presentation at the 2012 Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting, Boston, MA. 2012 May 1.
- Pati, S., Guevara, J., Localio, r., Zhang, G., Gerdex, M., Kumarbhatt, S., Kavanagh, J., Forrest, C.. A family psychosocial risk index for use in pediatric practice.. Platform presentation at the 2012 Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting, Boston, MA. 2012 April 29.
- Jimenez, M., Fiks, A., Gerdes, M., Barg, F., Guevara, J.. Barriers to evaluation for early intervention services.. Platform presentation at the 2012 Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting, Boston, MA. 2012 April 29.
- Fiks, A., Mayne, S., Hughes, C., DeBartolo, E., Behrens, C., Guevera, J., Power, T.. Development of an instrument to measure parents' preferences and goals for ADHD treatment.. Platform presentation at the 2012 Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting, Boston, MA. 2012 April 29.
- Mollen, C.J., Guevara, J., Gerdes, M., Zlotnik, S., Kavanagh, J., Noonan, K.. Research to impact: strategic dissemination skills for achieving evidence-based health policy.. Workshop at the 2012 Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting, Boston, MA. 2012 April 29.
- Schelleman, H., Bilker, W.B., Kimmel, S. E., Dniel, G. W., Newcomb, C., Guevara, J.P., Cziraky, M.J., Strom, B.L., Hennessy, S.. Methylphenidate and risk of serious cardiovascular events in adults. Am J Psychiatry. Vol 68(178-85) . 2012.
- Kavanagh, J.E., Gerdes, M., Guevara, J.P., Rubin, D.. Developmental screening in pediatric primary care.. Evidence to Action, PolicyLab: Center to Bridge Research, Practice, & Policy, Philadelphia PA Spring, 2012. (5) . 2012.
- Fiks, A.G., Mayne, S., Localio, A.R., Alessandrini, E.A., Guevara, J.P.. Shared Decision Making and Health Care Expenditures Among Children with Special Health Care Needs. Pediatrics. (129) . 2012:99-107.
- Fiks, A., Localio, R., Mayne, s., Alessandrini, e., Guevara, J.. Impact of Shared Decision Making on behavior impairment amount US children with special health care needs.. Platform presentation at the Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting, Denver, CO. 2011 May 3.
- Guevara, J.P., Gerdes, M., Hsu, D., Localio, R., Pati, S.. Effectiveness of Developmental screening in an urban seting: a randomized controlled trial.. Platform presentation at the Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting, Denver, CO. 2011 May 1.