1) Gestational drug exposure
2) High risk infants
3) Developmental follow-up
4) Effect of poverty on cognitive outcome
5) Underserved children
6) Precursors to drug use in youth
Dr. Hurt is interested in the effects of maternal substance use on the immediate and long-term outcome of children, understanding poverty and other complex factors that affect the lives of inner-city children, and neonatal outcomes.
- Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2008– present)
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2003 – 2008)
- M.D., University of Virginia School of Medicine (1971)
- B.S., Government, Sweet Briar (1967)
- Wild KT, Brodsky NL, Betancourt LM, Hurt H. The effect of socioeconomic status on language outcome of preterm infants at toddler age.. Early Hum Dev. 2013 (in press) June.
- Hackman DA, Betancourt LM, Brodsky NL, Kobrin L, Hurt H, Farah MJ. (2013) Selective impact of early parental responsivity on adolescent stress reactivity.. PLoS ONE. Vol 8(3) . 2013:e58250.
- Giannetta M, Betancourt LM, Brodsky NL, Wintersteen MB, Romer D, Giannetta JM, Hurt H. Suicidal Ideation and Self-Harm Behavior in a Community Sample of Preadolescent Youth: A Case-Control Study.. J Adolesc Health. Vol 50(5) . 2012 May:524-526.
- Jain V, Duda J, Avants B, Giannetta M, Xie SX, Roberts T, Detre JA, Hurt H, Wehrli FW, Wang DJ. Longitudinal reproducibility and accuracy of pseudo-continuous arterial spin-labeled perfusion MR imaging in typically developing children.. Radiology. Vol 263(2) . 2012 May:527-36.
- Handzel JM, Brodsky NL, Betancourt L, Hurt H. Longitudinal follow-up of poor inner-city youth between ages 8 and 18: Intentions versus reality.. Pediatrics. Vol 129(3) . 2012 March:473-478.
- Hackman DA, Betancourt LM, Brodsky NL, Hurt H, Farah MJ. Neighborhood disadvantage and adolescent stress reactivity.. Front Hum Neurosci. Vol 6. 2012:277.
- Khurana, A., Romer, D., Betancourt, L. M., Brodsky, N. L., Giannetta, J. M., & Hurt, H. Early adolescent sexual debut: The mediating role of working memory ability, sensation seeking and impulsivity.. Developmental Psychology. Vol 48(5) . 2012:1416-1428.
- Romer D, Betancourt LM, Brodsky NL, Giannetta JM, Yang W, Hurt H. Does adolescent risk taking imply weak executive function? A prospective study of relations between working memory performance, impulsivity, and risk taking in early adolescence. 21884327. Developmental Science. (5) . 2011 Sep:1119-33.
- Betancourt LM, Brodsky NL, Brown CA, McKenna KA, Giannetta JM, Yang W, Romer D, and Hurt H. Is executive cognitive function associated with youth gambling trajectories?. Journal of Gambling Studies. 2011 June.
- Betancourt LM, Yang W, Brodsky NL, Gallagher PR, Malmud EK, Giannetta JM, Farah MJ, & Hurt H. Adolescents with and without gestational cocaine exposure: Longitudinal analysis of inhibitory control, memory and receptive language.. Neurotoxicol Teratol. Vol 22(1) . 2011 Jan:33-46.