1) Gestational drug exposure
2) High risk infants
3) Developmental follow-up
4) Effect of poverty on cognitive outcome
5) Underserved children
6) Precursors to drug use in youth
Dr. Hurt is interested in the effects of maternal substance use on the immediate and long-term outcome of children, understanding poverty and other complex factors that affect the lives of inner-city children, and neonatal outcomes.
Effect of Poverty on Infant Outcome; Investigation of Neural changes in infants of varying SES; Predictors of Risk Behaviors in Young Adults; Effect of Cocaine Exposure on Young Adult Outcome.
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2003 – 2008)
- Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2008– present)
- M.D., University of Virginia School of Medicine (1971)
- B.S., Government, Sweet Briar (1967)
- Wild KT, Brodsky NL, Betancourt LM, Hurt H. The effect of socioeconomic status on language outcome of preterm infants at toddler age.. Early Hum Dev. 2013 (in press) June.
- Hackman DA, Betancourt LM, Brodsky NL, Kobrin L, Hurt H, Farah MJ. (2013) Selective impact of early parental responsivity on adolescent stress reactivity.. PLoS ONE. Vol 8(3) . 2013:e58250.
- Giannetta M, Betancourt LM, Brodsky NL, Wintersteen MB, Romer D, Giannetta JM, Hurt H. Suicidal Ideation and Self-Harm Behavior in a Community Sample of Preadolescent Youth: A Case-Control Study.. J Adolesc Health. Vol 50(5) . 2012 May:524-526.
- Jain V, Duda J, Avants B, Giannetta M, Xie SX, Roberts T, Detre JA, Hurt H, Wehrli FW, Wang DJ. Longitudinal reproducibility and accuracy of pseudo-continuous arterial spin-labeled perfusion MR imaging in typically developing children.. Radiology. Vol 263(2) . 2012 May:527-36.
- Handzel JM, Brodsky NL, Betancourt L, Hurt H. Longitudinal follow-up of poor inner-city youth between ages 8 and 18: Intentions versus reality.. Pediatrics. Vol 129(3) . 2012 March:473-478.
- Hackman DA, Betancourt LM, Brodsky NL, Hurt H, Farah MJ. Neighborhood disadvantage and adolescent stress reactivity.. Front Hum Neurosci. Vol 6. 2012:277.
- Khurana, A., Romer, D., Betancourt, L. M., Brodsky, N. L., Giannetta, J. M., & Hurt, H. Early adolescent sexual debut: The mediating role of working memory ability, sensation seeking and impulsivity.. Developmental Psychology. Vol 48(5) . 2012:1416-1428.
- Romer D, Betancourt LM, Brodsky NL, Giannetta JM, Yang W, Hurt H. Does adolescent risk taking imply weak executive function? A prospective study of relations between working memory performance, impulsivity, and risk taking in early adolescence. 21884327. Developmental Science. (5) . 2011 Sep:1119-33.
- Betancourt LM, Brodsky NL, Brown CA, McKenna KA, Giannetta JM, Yang W, Romer D, and Hurt H. Is executive cognitive function associated with youth gambling trajectories?. Journal of Gambling Studies. 2011 June.
- Betancourt LM, Yang W, Brodsky NL, Gallagher PR, Malmud EK, Giannetta JM, Farah MJ, & Hurt H. Adolescents with and without gestational cocaine exposure: Longitudinal analysis of inhibitory control, memory and receptive language.. Neurotoxicol Teratol. Vol 22(1) . 2011 Jan:33-46.
- Clark K, Betancourt LM, Brodsky NL, Hurt H. Childhood predictive factors of young adult employment in low-SES inner-city African Americans.. Platform Presentation. The Eastern Society for Pediatric Research Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, (751111).. 2013 March.
- Khurana A, Romer D, Betancourt LM, Brodsky, NL & Hurt H. Pre-existing differences in Working Memory help distinguish Early experimentation from early progression of drug use during adolescence.. Paper Symposium. 2013 SRCD Biennial Meeting, Seattle, WA. 2013 April.
- Betancourt LM, Brodsky NL, Malmud EK, Farah MJ, Hurt H. The relation of early experience with memory and language function in a cohort of low SES African American Youth with and without gestational cocaine exposure (GCE) at age 20 years.. Platform Presentation Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting Washington, DC. E-PAS 2205.2.. 2013 May.
- Betancourt LM, Brodsky NL, Hackman D, Farah MJ, Hurt, H. Stress reactivity and problem behavior in a cohort of youth, half with gestational cocaine exposure (GCE) and half without (NCE).. Platform Presentation. Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting Washington, DC. E-PAS 4330.5. 2013 May.
- Khurana A, Romer D, Betancourt LM, Brodsky NL & Hurt H. Working memory, impulsivity and sexual risk-taking in adolescence.. Accepted as individual paper (Presentation). Society for Prevention Research 21st Annual Meeting, The Science of Prevention: Building a Comprehensive National Strategy for Well-being, , San Francisco, CA.. 2013 May.