My interest is in mechanisms of of stress, pain and recovery from damage to the nervous system from a developmental perspective. I study models of acute and chronic pain, infant-mother attachment, the therapeutic and adverse effects of analgesic, especially opiates, and spinal cord injury and recovery from injury.
I study transitions during early development. Transitions are important developmental epochs during which time there are substantial changes in how infants/children/adolescents process information. I am particularly interested in mechanisms of of stress, pain and recovery from damage to the nervous system from that developmental perspective. I study models of acute and chronic pain, infant-mother attachment, the therapeutic and adverse effects of analgesics, especially opiates, and spinal cord injury and recovery from injury. Our lab develops and uses sophisticated behavioral assays in young animals in conjunction with a number of anatomical and neurochemical assays to understand mechanisms by which these transitions occur.
- Associate Professor of Psychology in Anesthesiology and Critical Care at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2008– present)
- Ph.D., Psychology, Carnegie Mellon University (1975)
- M.A., Carnegie Mellon University (1971)
- B.A., Psychology, Dickinson College (1969)
- Barr G A, Wang S. Analgesia induced by localized injection of opiate peptides into the brain of infant rats.. European journal of pain. Vol 17(5) . 2013 May:676-91.
- Murray Marion, Santi Lauren, Monaghan Rebecca, Houle John D, Barr Gordon A. Peripheral nerve graft with immunosuppression modifies gene expression in axotomized CNS neurons.. The Journal of comparative neurology. Vol 519(17) . 2011 Dec:3433-55.
- Hunter, D.A., Barr, G.A., Amador, N.J., Shivers, K-Y., Kemen, L., Kreiter, C.M., Jenab, J., Inturrisi, C.E., Quinones-Jenab, V.. Estradiol-induced antinociceptive responses on formalin-induced nociception are independent of COX and HPA activation.. Synapse. Vol 65(7) . 2011 Jul:643-651.
- Chan, T., Kyere, K., Davis, B.R., Shemyakin, A., Kabitzke, P.A., Shair, H.N., Barr, G.A., Wiedenmayer, C.P.. The role of the medial prefrontal cortex in innate fear regulation in infants, juveniles, and adolescents.. Journal of Neuroscience. Vol 31(13) . 2011 Mar:4991-4999.
- Hunter, D.A., Barr, G.A., Shivers, K-Y., Amador, N.J., Jenab, J., Inturrisi, C.E., Quinones-Jenab, V.. Interactions of estradiol and NSAIDS on carrageenan-induced hyperalgesia.. Brain Research. Vol 382. 2011 Mar:181-188.
- Barr Gordon A. Formalin-induced c-fos expression in the brain of infant rats.. The journal of pain : official journal of the American Pain Society. Vol 12(2) . 2011 Feb:263-71.
- Barr Gordon A, Moriceau Stephanie, Shionoya Kiseko, Muzny Kyle, Gao Puhong, Wang Shaoning, Sullivan Regina M. Transitions in infant learning are modulated by dopamine in the amygdala.. Nature neuroscience. Vol 12(11) . 2009 Nov:1367-9.
- McPhie, A.A., Barr, G.A.. Regional expression of the cellular protein fos induced by morphine withdrawal in the 7-day old rat.. Developmental Psychobiology. Vol 51. 2009:544-552.
- Butkevich, I.P., Barr, G.A., Vershinina, E.A.. Sex differences in formalin-induced pain in prenatally stressed infant rats.. European Journal of Pain. Vol 11(8) . 2007 Nov:888-894.
- King Tamara E, Barr Gordon A. Spinal cord ionotropic glutamate receptors function in formalin-induced nociception in preweaning rats.. Psychopharmacology. Vol 192(4) . 2007 Jul:489-98.