Clinical Coagulation, Hypercoagulability, Factor VII deficiency
CVI Program Unit(s):
Lipid / Atherosclerosis / CAD / ACS / Prevention
Thrombosis / Hemostasis
CVI Research Description:
My interest is in the transciptional regulation of coagulation factors.
I have performed research concerning Factor VII and Prothrombin.
I am also interested in clinical laboratory testing.
I am a specialist in laboratory medicine with a particular research focus in coagulation disorders. My interests concentrate on the protein that triggers blood clotting, Factor VII (FVII).
I am the Director of Coagulation at the Philadelphia VA Medical Center and one of the directors of the clinical coagulation laboratory at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
- Assistant Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (1997 – 2006)
- Associate Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (2006– present)
- Associate Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine in Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2009– present)
- Assistant Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine in Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2003 – 2006)
- M.D., Medicine, Yale University, School of Medicine (1991)
- A.B., Biochemical Sciences, Harvard University (1985)
- Zheng, X-W., Kudaravalli, R., Russell, T.T., DiMichele D.M., Gibb, C., Russell, J.E., Margaritis, P., Pollak, E.S.. Mutation in the factor VII hepatocyte nuclear factor 4a-binding site contributes to factor VII deficiency. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. Vol 22(7) . Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis; 2011:624-7.
- Cuker, A., Ptashkin B., Konkle, B.A., Pipe, S.W., Whinna, H.C., Zheng, X.L., Cines, D.B., Pollak, E.S.. Interlaboratory agreement in the monitoring of unfractionated heparin using the anti-factor Xa-correlated activated partial thromboplastin time.. Journal of Thrombosis & Haemostasis. Vol 7(1) . 2009:80-6.
- Cucchiara, B., Messe, S.R., Mackenzie, L.M., Sansing, L., Pollak, E.S., Taylor, R.A., Shah, Q., Pacell, J.P., Kasner, S.. D-dimer, MRI DWI, and ABCD2 score for TIA risk stratification. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases. In Press.. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases. Vol 18(5):367-73(5) . 2009:367-73.
- Shelat, S.G., Tomaski, A., Pollak, E.S.. Serologic results in >1000 patients with suspected heparin-induced thrombocytopenia.. Clinical and Applied Thrombosis/Hemostasis. Vol 14(4) . 2008 Oct:410-4.
- Wang, Y., Kurichi, J.E., Blumenthal, N.P., Ahya, V.N., Christie, J.D., Pochettino, A., Kaiser, L.R., Sonnad, S.S., Pollak, E.S.. Multiple variables affecting blood usage in lung transplantation. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation. Vol 25. 2006:533-8.
- Pollak, E.S., Tidd, T.M., Ptashkin, B., Smith-Whitley, K., Camire, R. M., Bauer, K.A.. Asymptomatic factor VII deficiency in African Americans. American Journal of Clinical Pathology. Vol 126(1) . 2006:128-132.
- Niiya, M., Uemura, M., Zheng, X.W., Pollak, E.S., Dockal, M., Scheiflinger, F., Wells, R.G., Zheng, X.L.. Increased ADAMTS13 proteolytic activity in rat hepatic stellate cells upon activation in vitro and in vivo. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis. Vol 4(5) . 2006:1063-1070.
- Cucchiara, B., Messe S., Taylor R., Clarke J., Pollak, E.. Utility of D-dimer in the diagnosis of cerebral venous sinus thrombosis [letter]. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis. Vol 3(2) . Blackwell Synergy; 2005:387-389.
- Knoblauch, R., Pollak, E.S., and Russell, J.E.. Toxicity of argatroban overdose in a 65-year old man [letter]. American Journal of Hematology. Vol 79(3) . 2005:248-249.