Early recognition of deteriorating pediatric inpatients
Clinical decision support in the electronic health record
My broad clinical research interest is evaluating the effectiveness and unintended consequences of systems intended to improve patient safety for hospitalized children.
Specific areas of focus include:
-Rapid Response Systems
-Medical Emergency Teams
-Early Warning Scores
-Physiologic Monitoring Systems
-Electronic Health Records
-Mobile Health (mHealth) Interventions
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2011– present)
- MSCE, Clinical Epidemiology, University of Pennsylvania (2011)
- MD, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine (2004)
- BA, Psychology, Colby College (2000)
- Paciotti B, Roberts KE, Tibbetts KM, Weirich C, Keren R, Barg FK, Holmes JH, Bonafide CP. Physician attitudes toward family-activated medical emergency teams for hospitalized children.. The Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety. Vol In press. 2014.
- Bonafide CP, Localio AR, Roberts KE, Nadkarni VM, Weirich CM, Keren R. Impact of rapid response system implementation on critical deterioration events in children. JAMA Pediatrics. 2013 Online first 11 November.
- Roberts KE, Bonafide CP, Weirich CM, Paciotti B, Tibbetts KM, Keren R, Barg FK, Holmes JH. Barriers to calling for urgent assistance that exist despite implementation of a comprehensive pediatric rapid response system. American Journal of Critical Care. Vol In press. 2014.
- Bonafide CP, Zander M, Graham CS, Weirich CM, Rock W, Rich A, Roberts KE, Fortino M, Nadkarni VM, Lin R, Keren R. Video methods for evaluating physiologic monitor alarms and alarm responses. Biomedical Instrumentation and Technology. Vol In press. 2014.
- Gálvez JA, Ahumada L, Simpao AF,Lin EE, Bonafide CP,Choudhry D, England WR, Jawad AF, Friedman D, Sesok-Pizzini DA, Rehman MA. Visual analytical tool for evaluation of 10-year perioperative transfusion practice at a children?s hospital. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association. Vol IN PRESS. 2014.
- Bonafide CP, Roberts KE, Weirich CM, Paciotti B, Tibbetts KM, Keren R, Barg FK, Holmes JH. Beyond statistical prediction: Qualitative evaluation of the mechanisms by which pediatric early warning scores impact patient safety.. Journal of Hospital Medicine. Vol 8(5) . 2013:248-53.
- Bhalala US, Bonafide CP, Coletti CM, Rathmanner PE, Nadkarni VM, Berg RA, Witzke AK, Kasprzak MS, Zubrow MT. Correlations between first documented cardiac rhythms and preceding telemetry in patients with code blue events. Journal of Hospital Medicine. Vol 8(4) . 2013:225-8.
- Huang EJ, Bonafide CP, Keren R, Nadkarni VM, Holmes JH. Medications associated with clinical deterioration in hospitalized children.. Journal of Hospital Medicine. Vol 8(5) . 2013:254-60.
- Bonafide CP, Brady PW, Keren R, Conway PH, Marsolo K, Daymont C. Development of heart and respiratory rate percentile curves for hospitalized children. Pediatrics. Vol 131(4) . 2013:e1150-7.
- Bhalala US, Bonafide CP, Coletti CM, Rathmanner PE, Nadkarni VM, Berg RA, Witzke AK, Kasprzak MS, Zubrow MT. Antecedent bradycardia and in-hospital cardiopulmonary arrest mortality in telemetry-monitored patients outside the ICU. Resuscitation. Vol 83(9) . 2012:1106-10.