I am a pediatric neurologist specializing in epilepsy. I treat pediatric epilepsy patients with medications, diet and surgery trying to eliminate their seizures. I have a clinic for children with tuberous sclerosis treating seizures, and the learning and behavioral problems associated with tuberous sclerosis.
Identifying the cellular and molecular changes that contribute to the development of epilepsy.
My lab is interested in understanding changes in the brain that cause epilepsy. We have focused on changes in transcription and translation that contribute to the development of epilepsy. We hope to identify gene targets that we can manipulate to prevent the development of epilepsy or revert an epileptic brain back to a pre-epileptic state.
- Associate Professor of Neurology at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2012 – 2012)
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2012 – 2012)
- Assistant Professor of Neurology at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2003 – 2012)
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2003 – 2012)
- M.D., Washington University (1995)
- Ph.D., Neuroscience, Washington University (1995)
- A.B., Biochemistry, Washington University (1987)
- Xinjian Zhu, Xiao Han, Julie A. Blendy and Brenda E. Porter. Decreased CREB levels suppress epilepsy. Neurobiology of Disease. Vol 45. 2012 January:253-263.
- Paciorkowskia,A.R. Porter, B.E.. MEF2C haploinsufficiency syndrome: A severe neurodevelopmental disorder with variable epilepsy. Journal of Pediatric Epilepsy. 2012.
- McRae P.M.,Baranov, E, Rogers S.L. Porter B.E.. Persistent decrease in multiple components of the perineuronal net following status epilepticus. European Journal of Neuroscience. 2012.
- Brenda E. Porter. Foreword. Journal of Pediatric Epilepsy. Vol 3. 2012:133.
- Risbud, M.R., Lee, C.,Porter, B.E.. Neurotrophin-3 mRNA a putative target of miR21 following status epilepticus. Brain Research. Vol 1424. 2011 November:53-59.
- Gonzalez, X.O.,Venneti, S.Biegel,J.A., Rorke-Adams, L.B., Porter, B.E.. Ganglioglioma arising from dysplastic cortex. Epilepsia. Vol 52. 2011 September:e106-108.
- Campen,C. and Porter, B.E.. Subependymal Giant Cell Astrocytoma (SEGA) Treatment Update. Current Treatment Options in Neurology. Vol 13. 2011 August:380-385.
- Gupta*,J.R., Marsh*,E.D. Nieh,H-A. Porter,B.E. and Litt,B.. High-frequency oscillations identify the seizure onset zone in some pediatric epilepsy patients. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. 2011 August:3095-3098.
- Ross John R, Ramakrishnan Hariharasubramanian, Porter Brenda E, Robinson Michael B. Group I mGluR-Regulated Translation of the Neuronal Glutamate Transporter, Excitatory Amino Acid Carrier 1 (EAAC1).. Journal of Neurochemistry. 2011 Mar.
- Ross John R, Porter Brenda E, Buckley Peter T, Eberwine James H, Robinson Michael B. mRNA for the EAAC1 subtype of glutamate transporter is present in neuronal dendrites in vitro and dramatically increases in vivo after a seizure.. Neurochemistry International. Vol 58(3) . 2011 Feb:366-75.