Division of GI, Hepatology and Nutrition The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia 3535 Market Street Room 1560
- Centers and Programs:
Clinical and Translational Research Center (CTRC)
Dr. Zemel's studies pertain to childhood growth and nutrition, body composition, energy expenditure and bone density across the lifespan.
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1993 – 2002)
- Research Professor of Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2012– present)
- Research Associate Professor of Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2005 – 2012)
- Research Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2001 – 2005)
- Ph.D., Anthropology, University of Pennsylvania (1989)
- M.A., Anthropology, University of Pennsylvania (1985)
- B.A., Anthropology, University of Pennsylvania (1979)
- Parks EP, Zemel B, Moore RH, Berkowitz RI. Change in body composition during a weight loss trial in obese adolescents.. Pediatr Obes. 2013 (epub ahead of print).
- Koren D, Marcus CL, Kim C, Gallagher PR, Schwab R, Bradford RM, Zemel BS. Anthropometric predictors of visceral adiposity in normal-weight and obese adolescents.. Pediatr Diabetes. 2013 (epub ahead of print).
- Hill DL, Parks EP, Zemel BS, Shults J, Stallings VA, Stettler N. Resting energy expenditure and adiposity accretion among children with Down syndrome: a 3-year prospective study.. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2013 (epub ahead of print).
- Weber DR, Moore RH, Leonard MB, Zemel BS. Fat and lean BMI reference curves in children and adolescents and their utility in identifying excess adiposity compared with BMI and percentage body fat.. Am J Clin Nutr. Vol 98(1) . 2013 Jul:49-56.
- Baker Joshua F, Davis Matthew, Alexander Ruben, Zemel Babette S, Mostoufi-Moab Sogol, Shults Justine, Sulik Michael, Schiferl Daniel J, Leonard Mary B. Associations between body composition and bone density and structure in men and women across the adult age spectrum.. Bone. Vol 53(1) . 2013 Mar:34-41.
- Tsampalieros A, Kalkwarf HJ, Wetzsteon RJ, Shults J, Zemel BS, Foster BJ, Foerster DL, Leonard MB. Changes in bone structure and the muscle-bone unit in children with chronic kidney disease.. Kidney Int. Vol 83(3) . 2013 Mar:495-502.
- Tsampalieros A, Gupta P, Denburg MR, Shults J, Zemel BS, Mostoufi-Moab S, Wetzsteon RJ, Herskovitz RM, Whitehead KM, Leonard MB. Glucocorticoid effects on changes in bone mineral density and cortical structure in childhood nephrotic syndrome.. J Bone Miner Res. Vol 28(3) . 2013 Mar:480-8.
- Groleau V, Herold RA, Schall JI, Wagner JL, Dougherty KA, Zemel BS, Rutstein RM, Stallings VA. Blood Lead Concentration Is Not Altered by High-Dose Vitamin D Supplementation in Children and Young Adults With HIV.. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. Vol 56(3) . 2013 Mar:316-9.
- Kalkwarf HJ, Zemel BS, Yolton K, Heubi JE. Bone mineral content and density of the lumbar spine of infants and toddlers: influence of age, sex, race, growth, and human milk feeding.. J Bone Miner Res. Vol 28(1) . 2013 Jan:206-12.
- Foster Bethany J, Gao Tao, Mackie Andrew S, Zemel Babette S, Ali Huma, Platt Robert W, Colan Steven D. Limitations of Expressing Left Ventricular Mass Relative to Height and to Body Surface Area in Children.. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. Vol 26(4) . 2013:410-18.