- Affinity Groups:
Genes,Genomics and Pediatric Disease
- Centers of Emphasis:
Developmental Biology and Pediatric Disorders
Cardiovascular Institute Program Unit(s):
Cardiovascular Development / Congenital Heart Disease
Cardiovascular Institute Research Description:
The focus of my research from 1994 through 2007 was developmental biology of the cardiovascular system using the zebrafish model, with the overall goal of understanding the molecular basis of congenital heart disease.
My lab's main project was understanding how the left-right body axis was specified during embryonic development, in order to gain insight into a syndrome called heterotaxy, occurring at a frequency of 1.00 to 1.44 per 10,000 human live births. Disorders of organ lateralization, such as heterotaxy syndrome and situs inversus totalis, are frequently associated with complex anomalies of the heart and major veins. Despite elaborate staged surgical reconstructive strategies (usually culminating in the Fontan operation), 20-year survival remains
vertebrate developmental biology, especially the cardiovascular system;
congenital heart disease;
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (1984 – 1989)
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (1989 – 2002)
- Professor of Pediatrics at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (2002– present)
- M.D., medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine (1977)
- A.B., Biochemical Sciences, Harvard College (1973)
- V. Ramesh Iyer MD, Alvin J. Chin MD. Arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy/dysplasia (ARVC/D). American Journal of Medical Genetics Part C. Vol 163C. 2013 August:185-197.
- Chin, AJ. Single Ventricle. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/898559-overview. 2013 August.
- Chin, AJ. Interrupted aortic arch. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/896979-overview. 2013 August.
- Joseph T. C. Shieh, John L. Jefferies, Alvin J. Chin. Disorders of Left Ventricular Trabeculation/Compaction or Right Ventricular Wall Formation. American Journal of Medical Genetics Part C. Vol 163C. 2013 August:141-143.
- Chin AJ, Saint-Jeannet J-P, Lo CW.. How insights from cardiovascular developmental biology impact the care of infants and children with congenital heart disease. Mechanisms of Development. Vol 129. 2012 July-August:75-97.
- Alvin J. Chin. Heterotaxy Syndrome and Primary Ciliary Dyskinesia. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/896757-overview. 2012 June.
- Alvin J. Chin. Management of complications after the Fontan operation. In Cardiothoracic Surgery Review, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2011 December.
- Alvin J. Chin, Kevin K. Whitehead, Raymond L. Watrous. Insights After 40 years of the Fontan Operation. World Journal for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery. Vol 1(3) . Sage Publications; 2010 October:328-343.
- Jacobs ML, Jacobs JP, Chin AJ.. Interrupted aortic arch. In Sabiston and Spencer, Surgery of the Chest, 8th edition. Elsevier, B.V.; 2009 December.
- Chin AJ, Stephens P, Goldmuntz E, Leonard MB.. Serum Alkaline Phosphatase Reflects Post-Fontan Hemodynamics in Children.. Pediatr Cardiol.. Vol 30(2) . 2009 Feb:138-145. [Aug 2008 Epub ahead of print ].